M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how accurate are the USGI barrels compared to the newer Criterian barrels....most things being the same with TE an MW. All posts an hands on experience an knowledge appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So how accurate are the USGI barrels compared to the newer Criterian barrels....most things being the same with TE an MW. All posts an hands on experience an knowledge appreciated.
Well, the Criterion barrels should be more consistent, for starters. That is to say, one barrel should be very similar to another.

My understanding is that military armorers would go through a number of GI barrels by hand, looking for signs of an exceptionally good barrel - such as making sure the bore is concentric all the way through the barrel. These barrels would make their way into the match rifles.

Such a "match-grade" hand-selected GI barrel is likely to be just as accurate as a new barrel of the same weight/profile, assuming that the GI barrel isn't shot out.

But thats the thing, GI barrels are old and likely used and even if you found a new, unused GI barrel it isn't necessarily match grade. On top of that, with a new barrel you can get a heavier weight which will help dampen the barrel harmonics and that will help with accuracy.

So, I would say that on the whole Criterion barrels will be more accurate than GI barrels, but for any given two examples, this may not be true.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you took a barreled action (any barrel in good condition) put it in a ransom rest and shot it, chances are they would all hold 1/2 MOA. Its when things start getting attached to the rifle (including the shooter) that accuracy starts falling apart. The M14 is not "barrel-only dependent" as far as accuracy goes.

I have shot Standard M1A's with factory barrels that can hold less than a minute. I choose the best barrels I can for all my rifles, but for service rifles it can be a false investment. For instance, I have a Krieger and a Douglas on two rifles, they both hold 1/2 min or better when Im on it. The Krieger will probably last longer and may shoot better longer, but right now they both shoot equally well.

I have Wilsons and Kriegers on AR's, the Wilson shoots just as good the Krieger (I should almost say the Krieger shoots just as good as the Wilson).

The thing is when it comes to barrels, we wont often realize the true potential of any one makers barrel, because we are sticking them on gas-operated sticks. The "sticks" factor in very much in terms of accuracy as the barrels do...

Now when you get into the bolt-gun world, thats when a barrel maker's high-end barrel will really shine, because we can remove all the extraneous stuff that can cause accuracy issues.

So is it worth the probable accuracy enhancements that a custom barrel will provide on a 14? Yes, as long as you are willing to go all the way and trick the rifle out with every known match upgrade that can be done. Its quite possible to yank an "ACME Inc" barrel off a Standard M1A (no match upgrades) and install the best barrel you can buy, and still see no real improvement in accuracy...Its also quite possible to see that ACME Inc barrel drive tacks.

In fact there was a thread not long ago where the guy was getting consistent sub-moa accuracy out of his factory barrel and was wondering about taking it off and installing a Krieger. The consensus from the repsonders were, "leave it alone" until its shot out. Smart audience!

Dont get caught in the barrel trap. Most barrel makers these days turn out a fine product. Most gas guns will never realize all the potential inherent in them because of the platform that they are connected to...

Also, as far as Im concerned the "cut rifle" vs "button rifle" barrel debate is mostly bunk. There is no proof, anywhere that Ive seen or experienced, that shows a cut rifled barrel shooting better than a button rifled barrel, all other things being equal...Quite honestly the real secret to a good barrel is drilling a straight bore and using good steel. That comes before all the other "more talked about things" like type of rifling method used. Its like people wake up and decide they want a custom barrel and immediately buy a Krieger but dont really know why other than hear someone say Kriegers are the best and they are "cut rifled". They are good, but some others are just as good...

For instance, there is only one barrel out there that for my personal shooting, when it comes to bolt guns, exceeds all others. Thats a Gary Schneider barrel and its not cut rifled. For others, another brand may be their best barrel. It depends on the gun, the shooter, tastes, whatever, but most current barrel makers that have any kind of legit operation and are putting food on the table with their product, are turning out a good barrel...

That doesnt even remotely answer your question does it...? I dont know how specifically answer the GI vs Criterion question....

·
Registered
966 Posts
In my experience, most barrels are more accurate then the shooter. As stated before, in a vice, most barrels will shoot extremely well, and better than I can hold with iron sights and aging eyes.

With my chrome lined standard production barrel, I can hit 4" clays at 339 yards. (The 300 yard berm at my local range)

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
www.dgrguns.com swears by Criterion's .30-06 M1 barrel and it has scored real well against the competition in some reported comparative testing. I'd check with the proprietor/builder (Dean) about the .308/7.62 version for M14 clones. He'll shoot straight from what he knows.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
G.I. Barrel accuracy

I have several off the G.I. barrels....all of the original manufacturers...duplicates of most.....I have an HR with TE of
.5 and MW of .5 , It is reparked with a few pits in the top where the handguard most likely hid some SEA mud and rice kernels....It shoots MOA everytime I take it out...The worst measure I have on one is 1 and 1 ...It shoots MOA everytime out....If a barrel won't shoot MOA , I won't own it....criterion, I don't know...I also have two SAI barrels that shoot MOA....any distance on all the barrels...they all hold MOA....

At first I wanted G.I. barrels to go with the correct parts and was a bit apprehensive about their accuracy, then I found that I could find better deals on them than new criterions, so I bought all G.I. barrels. Glad I did too because they started getting more expensive now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts