M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stand corrected regarding my use of the Term Lapping, thank you. Your being a Pro, I bow to you knowledge.. The information that has come out in the Thread is good stuff, I have learned several things...

In all fairness to my Thread, there was no mention of correcting a Crown that was not true, nor mention of an attempt to correct an improper cut muzzle that was Crowned. I should have made that point clear, but I am doing the best possible. and do not resent being educated.

My M1A's usually get a full Service twice a year, complete break down short of pulling the barrels. The parts are cleaned and inspected, the main concern is to remove Carbon. The Crown is my major concern, since the Crowns are True before the barrels are installed, it becomes a task of removing Carbon, which to some extent builds up more on one rifle than the other. I remove this Carbon using the method described in the other Thread. The Handle off a Combo tool work fine for this clean up job. art MCORPS1

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We have talked before obout how hard it is sometimes to get our ideas across in writing. I read your other post and thought "Thats not gonna do much more than a good cleaning job". I don't know what I was expecting, but obviously more. It seems some others thought you were trying to say it was a repair job.
I hope that after I write this it does not appear that I am giving Art crap, because I am not. I have a great deal of respect for his experience and knowledge. I read all the post from all of our armorrer's. Just because anyone of them makes a statement doesn't mean that it has biblical significance. However if your interested in learning about the care of these guns you'd be a fool not to listen when they say something.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Hi Art & Memphis! I have a silly question for you both. Considering the 14 is used in conjuction with a FH, why didn't it get desinged with a flat 90 degree muzzle so it fits up against the inside of the FH tight with no gaps? Part two is why couldn't the designers incorporate the crown on the opening of the FH. Just a crazy thought. Seems as though it may prevent the need to clean any carbon that may build up in the gap and cause corosion. I would imagine however close the tolerances are between the two parts gas and carbon would get in the space regardless.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a guess

Hi Art & Memphis! I have a silly question for you both. Considering the 14 is used in conjuction with a FH, why didn't it get desinged with a flat 90 degree muzzle so it fits up against the inside of the FH tight with no gaps? Part two is why couldn't the designers incorporate the crown on the opening of the FH. Just a crazy thought. Seems as though it may prevent the need to clean any carbon that may build up in the gap and cause corosion. I would imagine however close the tolerances are between the two parts gas and carbon would get in the space regardless.
Hey Warren, I don't know the answer to either of your questions. As to why the non 90 degree on the muzzle, my guess is, they used the same set up to make the M14 barrels as used to make the M1 barrels. As you know the M1 like the Springfield barrels had this curved machined shape. A oversight maybe.

An interesting sidelight of the curved muzzle shape is it is also on the Springfield 1922 22 cal. rifles, except for the1922 M2 22 cal rifle, which has a pronounced edge and flat muzzle.. In addition, the, Spr. 1922 M2 has a one inch shorter barrel. maybe it's a half inch, I've forgotten. art

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Gerry would know he is ona 1922 kick as of late. His buddy bought two of them I would imagine by now Gerry has one of his own. They are some nice shooting 22's. the best I have ever seen. One day i will add one to the collection. Thanks for trying anyway.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It seems to me like I have read some post about someone that does just that. Squares off the end of the barrel. I hadn't given much thought to this (Thanks alot)GI6 Now I will have to spend untold amounts of time pondering this idea.
Some one told me that the last inch of the barrel was the most important part.

·
Registered
119 Posts
An interesting sidelight of the curved muzzle shape is it is also on the Springfield 1922 22 cal. rifles, except for the1922 M2 22 cal rifle, which has a pronounced edge and flat muzzle.. In addition, the, Spr. 1922 M2 has a one inch shorter barrel. maybe it's a half inch, I've forgotten. art
Art,

I have a Springfield CAL .22 M2 with a CURVED muzzle. Is that different than what you posted? (24 1/2" barrel)

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M2 22

Art,

I have a Springfield CAL .22 M2 with a CURVED muzzle. Is that different than what you posted? (24 1/2" barrel)
According to Fladermann's Book my description is correct. My M2 has the flatter style and is shorter. I would suspect your rifle has had a barrel change. I'm not an expert on 1922 22 rifles but have had many and of the M2's, they all were different than the other style 22's. They also were the most accurate rifles.... art

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
It seems to me like I have read some post about someone that does just that. Squares off the end of the barrel. I hadn't given much thought to this (Thanks alot)GI6 Now I will have to spend untold amounts of time pondering this idea.
Some one told me that the last inch of the barrel was the most important part.
Sorry Memphis! I would imagine you might have to do some work on the ID of the FH as well I have no idea if they are set up at 90 degrees

·
Registered
174 Posts
Part two is why couldn't the designers incorporate the crown on the opening of the FH.
Two reasons come to mind.
One: can you imagine trying to index the rifling button on a FH and the kind of jig and accuracy that would take to make sure that the barrel rifling and the FH rifling would match up perfectly? That would be a huge pain, and would take forever.
You would also have to perfectly match up the parting lines between the barrel and FH so that no gaps existed. Imagine what kind of damage that would do to the bullet jacket as it tried to pass over it.
Two: Every time a round would go through this rifled FH, it would be trying to shoot the FH off the end of the barrel. I doubt the castle nut would keep it on. Think baffle strike.

Those engineers were some pretty smart fellers!

Kevin

BTW, I respect your outside the box thinking; this is the driving force behind lots of cool schtuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts