M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a used M1A Scout and would like to hear from you all what I should do for an initial inspection. All of the detail I can get will be appreciated. For instance, after field stripping and inspecting what is the minimum amount of rounds I should shoot through it that would show a problem if there was one? What do I look for when field stripping? In other words, what all would you do if you were me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am about to buy a used M1A Scout and would like to hear from you all what I should do for an initial inspection. All of the detail I can get will be appreciated. For instance, after field stripping and inspecting what is the minimum amount of rounds I should shoot through it that would show a problem if there was one? What do I look for when field stripping? In other words, what all would you do if you were me? Thanks in advance.
1 round is enough to "show" a problem. Sorry that doesnt help much, but its an honest answer.

Theres probably not anything you can do if your question is broad enough to warrant a question of this nature other than use your best judgement about the rifle and seller. Look closely at everything. Make sure its unloaded. Cycle it. Pull the trigger. Lock the bolt back, release the bolt. Look for massive pitting on the bolt face. Run the sights up and down, side to side. Test mag fit and release. Look for excessive metal wear (bare spots) in unusual places. Do the tilt test. Unscrew the gas plug and inspect the piston (dont drop it, youll ruin it). Make sure the bolt isnt binding at the back of the receiver. Make sure there is light on either side of the bolt in the receiver when its in battery and not being torqued over excessively to one side on the receiver. Check alignment of piston and op rod mate-up. Make sure the hammer hooks are even... Look down the bore and make sure nothing is stuck in there. Ask questions. How many rounds. How many previous owners. How often was it cleaned. Was it ever serviced. etc, etc, etc...

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Be sure the magazine is a original Springfield or CMI, not some Chinese "whoflungdung". Make sure the flash suppressor is tight and the set screw for the castle nut is not stripped and cross threaded. Ask me how I learned this GI4

I was lucky to have a good M14 gunsmith (Ronnie Morris in Madison, TN) fifty miles from me. I had him go over the rifle to check for any other problems. Had the extractor changed to a USGI one. After watching Ronnie tear down the rifle I have to say he really knows an M14!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the information.

When I get the rifle, I will have an oppurtunity to send it back to the seller if I am able to find anything wrong. So, I am looking for advice on function testing it right out of the box. I assume I will have 2-3 days to find something wrong with it. I will field strip it, look for cracked or chipped parts the best I can with my limited knowledge and fire 100-200 rounds through it to see if that presents any problems. I will try to create a checklist using the information you guys have given me already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts