M14 Forum banner

US Soldier with Dragunov & one with M14

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  thereisnospoon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
:oops: it's a DRAGUNOV... 8O :roll: :idea:
http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/20040818-A-L4934(31).jpg

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army, by PFC Erik LeDrew

A soldier with "Comanche" Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, sights a Dragunov Sniper Rifle to provide counter-sniper fire for his unit against attacking insurgents in Sadr City. The rifle was confiscated from insurgent forces during a raid conducted by Soldiers of Comanche's White Platoon on a house occupied insurgents in mid-August.

hey, what happened to the auto resizing?

#2 ·
auto-resizing is doin it's thang.....all pics are now auto-resized to 500 pixels. (expanded over the old 400 pixels)

run your mouse over the pic and click for a high resolution pic in a different window. Another perk of the auto-resize modification added to the forums. :x_mrgreen:

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
cool, here's a soldier with an M14 (prolly been posted already):

http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/040405-A-8255A-058.jpg

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army, by SPC Gul A. Alisan

April 19, 2004

A Soldier peers through the scope on his rifle to identify potential enemy targets during a mission in Orgun-e, Afghanistan. The Soldier is assigned to the 25th Infantry Division’s 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. This photo appeared on www.army.mil.

#7 ·
Weapons

Why not use the AK varient vice the 16. I am with NMCB27 and have had compadres in country that have been in many firefights and with the .223 and the targets get back up even though they have been hit multiple times. It seems the .223 just goes right through with little knockdown power. At least with a 7.62 Russian it has more knockdown power. I have read in some areas of the internet that people are upset because we are using confiscated weapons vice the issued 16. Well let them find out first hand when the "dead guy" gets back up and keeps shooting. Use what got. "Improvise, Adapt and overcome" one of the best adages and rules to live by, IMHO.

#8 ·
I Wonder who's Country that Dragunov is? I want one because I dont have one of those!

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jefferson F. Davis said:
:oops: it's a DRAGUNOV... 8O :roll: :idea:
http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/20040818-A-L4934(31).jpg
Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army, by PFC Erik LeDrew

A soldier with "Comanche" Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, sights a Dragunov Sniper Rifle to provide counter-sniper fire for his unit against attacking insurgents in Sadr City. The rifle was confiscated from insurgent forces during a raid conducted by Soldiers of Comanche's White Platoon on a house occupied insurgents in mid-August.

hey, what happened to the auto resizing?
Hmmmm... Interesting.

Are those '203 hulls by his feet?

Spike

#11 ·
Re: Weapons

quote="verdejt"Why not use the AK varient vice the 16. I am with NMCB27 and have had compadres in country that have been in many firefights and with the .223 and the targets get back up even though they have been hit multiple times. It seems the .223 just goes right through with little knockdown power. At least with a 7.62 Russian it has more knockdown power. I have read in some areas of the internet that people are upset because we are using confiscated weapons vice the issued 16. Well let them find out first hand when the "dead guy" gets back up and keeps shooting. Use what got. "Improvise, Adapt and overcome" one of the best adages and rules to live by, IMHO./quote

The only thing that upsets me is that our county puts troops into battle with a rifle that the troops say is inferior and opt to use captured rifles. We need to use the M16 in limited roles like the M1 carbine was used for. We then need to field a main battle rifle with a bit larger caliber that has some knockdown power. This is just MHO though.

#12 ·
dragunov

Outstanding!!! I wouldn't have guessed a lefty could use a com bloc weapon. Like the old saying goes "Never go to a gunfight with a rifle whose cal starts with a number less than 3 or a pistol whose cal starts with a number less than 4"

#14 ·
Reply to: dragunov

Biathlon said:
Like the old saying goes "Never go to a gunfight with a rifle whose cal starts with a number less than 3 or a pistol whose cal starts with a number less than 4"
If the military would adopt a rifle that fired a .26 or higher caliber bullet it would definately be enough power for me.

The pathetic M-9 definately needs to be dumped by the United States Military.

I also think the 7.62 x 39 round with a 16 inch barrel has more energy behind the round at 250 meters than the 5.56 x 45 round with a 20 inch barrel at that range.

#15 ·
The problem with the 5.56X45mm is not the caliber... its the ammunition that is issued. The M-855 ammo (US spec SS-109) is designed for penetration... and it does that wonderfully. When you use a round designed for penetration on a light target... like a person... its obviously going to make a little hole in... little hole through... and a little hole out. You use a round designed for soft targets... like the M-193 55gr FMJBT... and it works just fine. M-193 55gr FMJBT ammo will fragment apon impact out to 250/300 yards... well within the average fire fight range.

The high speed low drag guys... Army SF... Navy SEAL / Fast Boat Team... Marine Force Recon... Marine SF... ect... all get expanding ammo. MK-262 Mod 0 and MK-262 Mod 1 5.56X45mm ammo packs a bigger punch than 7.62X51mm Ball ammo out to a few hundred yards... and is specifically designed for short barrel carbines (10.5" and 14.5").

There was an Army SF Sniper in Afghanistan who used a MK-12 Mod 1 SPR rifle (5.56mm) with MK-262 Mod 1 (75gr SMK) ammo to kill over 60 Taliban fighters in one night on a hill side... each dead enemy fighter they counted had a single shot through the chest or head out to distances past 400 yards.

#16 ·
As far as the "SVD" style rifle goes... its a Chinese NDM-86 (Civilian version sold as an export of the Type-79 Chinese military rifle) in 7.62X54R made by Norinco. It appears to have a 4 power PSO-1 scope mounted on it.

And yes... those are 40mm casings near his feet.

#17 ·
Now I know I'm an FNG and all, but could you post a source on this...

The high speed low drag guys... Army SF... Navy SEAL / Fast Boat Team... Marine Force Recon... Marine SF... ect... all get expanding ammo. MK-262 Mod 0 and MK-262 Mod 1 5.56X45mm ammo packs a bigger punch than 7.62X51mm Ball ammo out to a few hundred yards
...I can't figure how that's ballistically possible, even with ball ammo. yikes1

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.