M14 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I milled a .250 dovetail in receiver and custom made a clip guide for it.
Cross between BM59 with M14 design .I'm going to mill the M1 op rod handle to accept front of connector arm and this build will be ready to park and reassemble.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Here is the latest variation of the M114 ,including the milled clip guide feature, M14 (D) cuts and leg machining. Added the milled notch in the op rod handle and added 1/4 to the connector arm now have closer look to original. Notice the HRA front half and NM SA M1 rear half grafted together.

TRW M14 stock ,only mods are the rear bolt radius clearance cut ,like M1 stock, forward op rod travel extended to clear and frward edge of connector slot extended. TRW M14 trigger housing ,guard,and SA M1 Garand inside componants.

·
Registered
143 Posts
At my age I'm getting harder and harder to impress, but I'll have to say that this impresses the hell out of me. Iron Worker your skill and workmanship are beyond compare. Excellent!

Rob

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks,
When this type rifle is built with USGI chrome barrel expect headspace to be USGI 7.62 NATO only this is the third set up I've done and headspace has been 1.636, 1.637, 1.637 respectively which is dead in the middle range. Typically USGI M14's [email protected] 1.6355 /1.636 on average.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
For the record this Idea all started when member Articdog sent me some photos back in 2006 of a rifle a gunsmith friend of his built .And the info he had was from the late HuntingHawk and member TOMMO .

I came up with the bolt stop design and filler and spring guide that I added to mine . Everything is based on the M14 as far as the receiver machining.

I might add Elmer Ballance was doing this in the 70's albeit with a short welded M1 receiver .

I've already got an IHC demill that soon I will be doing a tribute rifle based on his.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts