M14 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts

This is my first CMP purchase, and my first M1. Up until now I was using an M14, then an M1A, a borrowed M1, or my 1903. It's a special grade. I got it to go shoot with my friends in the J.C. Garand Match and some other "as issued" service rifle matches.

I stripped off the bland brown stain with some acetone and light sanding, and then treated the wood with raw linseed oil. I debated on using True-Oil, which I have learned to apply where it ends up looking pretty G.I., but decided since this was basically what a new M1 was like, I would go with an original finish. It completely absorbed 4 coats of raw linseed in the last several days, and is just now reaching the point where the oil is not completely absorbed in 3-4 hours.

This is also the first time I have ever painted my rear sights myself. I think they turned out okay. Rifle is wearing a Turner AWS, which I really like after using real leather, and GI cotton and nylon slings on my other rifles. Rifle has been cleaned up and greased. Looking forward to getting to the range and zeroing with HXP when the weather gets better.

Springfield Armory. Serial number check makes it a July of 1942 rifle, and all of the internal parts (operating rod, bolt, etc) are marked SA, which was nice. Beyond that, I don't know enough about the numbers to know parts revisions, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CMP M1 Garand SA Correct Grade. NM front sight .062. NM hooded aperture. Smith Enterprise - M1 Garand M1 muzzle break. John Masen - recoil pad M1 Garand rubber.
I just got my buddy zeroed at 200 yards last month. From the looks of this thread I am really tempted to purchase another one.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a CMP Springfield rack grade Garand (5 million # serial range/Post WW2) that I purchased in 1999 without the stock. I sent the rifle to Fulton Armory for restoration and added a new walnut stock and new USGI barrel. I restored it with plans on getting it out to the firing line for a Garand match one of these days.
Fulton Armory also re-parkerized the rifle and they did a great job.

Unfortunatey this great shooting rifle was lost in a house fire in Jan 2014. I have two replacement rifles from CMP coming. A Special Grade 30-06 and a Special Grade 308 upgraded to a heavy NM rifle through the CMP Custom Shop. I'll post pics later on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my M1 Garand. Its an Armscor reimport. With a 53* SA bbl. The parts were all switched out for NM parts back in 2001, Gunsmith work was done by T.V O'Malley in Fayetteville NC back in 94-95..I bought it at Jim's Gun jobbery for a 600$ steal...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't know why, but I seem to have not yet joined in on this thread. Will remedy that now!
Here is my heard, mostly Sprungfelds, but also an IHC, H&R and a Beretta. Some day I'll find a Winchester at a price I'm willing to pay!
An 03 on the left and the Beretta on the right. The Beretta is one that I'm building with all PB marked parts on a receiver I bought at a gun show in Germany several years ago.
Sarge

161 - 180 of 221 Posts