M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my priority is the M1 Rifle issues that we've been working on in the other thread, I also took out my Carbine today to take some careful notes as it has never worked right.

I got it from my brother long ago; he says it never worked right for him either.

This is an Inland Carbine, and has the Blue Sky import stamping on the barrel. I don't really know what that does to the rifle as far as quality or value.

With the rear sight windage cranked all the way to the left stop, the carbine still shoots to the right, but is finally on the paper at 100 yards. The rear sight assembly seems centered to the receiver, as the front sight seems centered to the barrel, too.

It also fails to feed every shot. From the right side of the magazine, you just need to hit the bolt handle to get it to go home. Most of the time from the left side of the magazine, though, you have to pry up the bullet tip a little bit. The stoppage is right when it wants to strip the round from the magazine, like the case mouth catches on the feed ramp or something.

Factory ball ammo this time. And today's tests were with a 5-rd and a 10-rd magazine.

I was testing the rifle and carbine today because I am shooting a ViMSAR match this weekend with a carbine side match. Good thing I was also testing my SKS because it is nailing the bullseye with 3" groups at 100 yards with Winchester white box.

Needless to say, while my coolness factor goes way up with the US Carbine, my score will go way up with the SKS.

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
I would definitely get some 15 round USGI mags from the CMP and see if that solves your feeding issues.

As for your rear sight, you might need to move the entire rear sight base over and have it staked or glued in place with Lok-tite. This is very common with the M1 carbines.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a couple more magazines, and while I didn't test them today, IIRC they all fail. I have a 5-rd, a 10-rd, and a 20(?)-rd longer one that curves. These three all say "MADE IN U.S.A." on the back and have a recess on the floorplate.

I have two 15-rd. mags. One is stamped A.I. on the back. This one has a flat floorplate. The other is stamped LU on the back and has the recessed floorplate like the short magazines.

The short mags and the AI mag have holes in the back, usually at top and bottom. The LU mag has a solid back.

Are any of these USGI?

I also have two magazine bodies, a 15-rd with "O SG" on the back and a longer, curved one with a J stamped on the back.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any value in places like James River Armory that restore these with new barrels and stuff? I see their ads in Shotgun News often.

·
Registered
958 Posts
A.I. / L.U. / O.S.G. Are all USGI. The J stamped is US made for Viet Nam. All thies mags. should be good to go. USA mags are after market.
I don't like anything that isn't USGI.
Best regards

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try installing an M2 type mag catch if it does not have one. In fact, maybe replace it if it is as yours may be worn. Also install a new oprod spring.

HTH

Semper Fi, Rob

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Completely tear the carbine down, clean and lube. Check the gas piston to see if it moves freely. If not spray it down with brake cleaner until it moves (I dont recommend removing the piston unless it has never been staked)

Replace recoil spring
Forget the 5 and 10 rd mags. Use nothing but USGI 15 rd mags
What ammo are you using?
The rear sight can be drifted to help with windage.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Plus one on both USMC Rob's and Orlando's post. There is a very good chance your mag catch is worn, causing the magazine to sit low.
There have been reports that some Carbines with import marks on the barrel were stamped so heavily the barrel was tweaked. Which may or may not be the case with yours.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This particular test was with Wolf steel cased ammo, but the last time I took it out was with Winchester white box with the same issues.

The Blue Sky import stamp is heavy, on the left side near the muzzle.

Where is a good, written procedure for maintenance of the M1 Carbine? I want to make sure I don't miss anything, and also don't do anything I shouldn't.

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If the stamp was too hard on the left side of the muzzle then it might have bent your barrel causing the right windage. Try placing a straight edge on the left side of the barrel and see what you get.

As for mx I'd recommend going to the CMP forum and signing up.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I had a Blue Sky Import that I bought in the early 1980's for $150.00 The muzzle was very worn, it "looked" like a new rifle as they were usually in such worn condition they were reparked before sold.
I eventually rebarreled it with a NOS USGI barrel
Wolf Carbine ammo is underpowered ,I would stay away from it
Really not much to know about maintaining other than what was already gone over here. Just do a good cleaning and very, very light grease on bolt lugs and receiver track . Some guys just run oil.
Piston should be clean and dry, no oil or grease.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check your gas piston nut as well on the barrel. These if not originally peened by an armoror they can walk themselves out and has some serious gas leakage. This will cause failure to feed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts