M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
My very first, a Colt 1911A1 mixmaster, it has been re-blued after the war.
Were any of the military's 1911s Parkerized? I have a "mil-spec" Springfield Armory Inc. 1911 which is Parked, not blued.

While I prefer parking because it wears better, and do not care about "mill-spec", it seems that SAI is possibly fudging a bit.

A related question: Why would the armed services go with blued over Parking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Were any of the military's 1911s Parkerized? I have a "mil-spec" Springfield Armory Inc. 1911 which is Parked, not blued.

While I prefer parking because it wears better, and do not care about "mill-spec", it seems that SAI is possibly fudging a bit.

I'm quite sure that it was re-blued after it had changed into civilian hands.

WWII production 1911A1's all had a parkerized metal finish, the WWI 1911's were blued.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts

All the 1911's were parkerized in the Navy commands and armories that I saw ....although some were pretty worn. I forget the round count they were sent back to NWSC CRANE....but the (new) ones we would receive had new Parkerizing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 1911A1 is a WWII weapon that was issued to my father while he was in the Pacific on the island invasions. He was a Fire Control Tech on a destroyer and had that plus an M1 carbine for shore "visits".

I now have both of them and they are in original condition with two minor exceptions. The stock on the carbine was refinished in a lighter tone and the bushing on the 45 has been swapped to a Cutts Compensator installed in the same location. I still have the original bushing in a parts box somewhere but would have to hunt for it.

The Colt Pony is featured on the 45 along with the other Government Property verbiage. The M1 carbine was a Quality/HMC built weapon and has the original two range peep sight, original mag release, push button safety (IIRC), and no bayonet lug.

I will see if I can take a photo or two and post them soon. The mag is "original as issued" also.

Nelson

Attachments

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
That Ithaca looks like it was rode hard and put up wet!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Kind of a handgun, a "Pistol, Pyrotechnic, M8".

The flare pistols were standard equipment on many U.S. Aircraft, even the gliders my late Father in Law flew during the war. On those they were mounted in a box just in front of the instrument panel. There was a small portal build into many aircraft that you could insert the barrel into to make sure the flare cleared the aircraft and didn't accidentally end up inside the plane. Thats what those little nubs are for near the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is my favourite 1911A1! It's an all original parts mid-1943 Colt. It is in a very good, nearly mint condition! Actually, as I had to use the flash, the scratches in the finish look much worse on the pictures then in reality.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
THANKS Burma. Just part of this collection here would constitute a solid retirement stake though I'd have to be HARD pressed to sell any. Absolutely priceless collection of American mechanical engineering.

Methinks I recall another thread where you detailed some equally pristine Garands found in "attics"(?) in the vicinity of the Ardennes(?). Your posts in addition to member Bizio's (Italy) negates, unless you're the EU equivalent of us "alt-right wingnuts" (aka Deplorables) here, what I've previously "understood" to be EU/local firearm policy/laws. I can't quick find the previous thread that was recent, but seem to remember maybe CicleHook posit the question. I see location "Central Europe" which has me thinking maybe Germany. It would be equally interesting if you could maybe write a few lines as what local and/or EU dictates actually prescribe - especially given unmolested BAR and Thompsons. This would be very interesting and probably to other guys here too. Take care of them my friend. You may not be interested in some unelected parasites in Brussels - but somehow methinks they are or will shortly be... interested in you.

Thanks again Burma.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
M1911 in not too bad a condition! It's only flaw is the missing lanyard loop. The barrel has the correct "P" and "H" markings for the WWI production. According to the serial number it was made in 1918. The Inspectors marking are those of Major John M. Gilbert.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Another 1911, made in 1918 by Colt. The old geezer who gave it to me was proud as hell that he had been looking after the gun real good for all these years! He polished it with steel wool at least twice a year!!!

Anyhow, I guess I am being ungrateful....one should not look gift horses into the mouth and all...p-)

Here we go, what's nice about it is the Springfield Armory "Eagle's Head" inspection stamp.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
When I arrived at Fort Campbell, KY, in 1976, the aviation unit I was assigned to had two Victory model S&W revolvers in the Arms Room. While they were still serviceable, we turned them in and replaced them with brand new blued M10 S&Ws a bit later. There were absolutely no parts available for them.

When I arrived at Yuma Proving Ground in 2012, we had two M8 Pyrotechnic Pistols in the Arms Room, along with many other obsolete weapons that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Many of them had been on loan from other agencies for up to 30 years! I managed to either return or turn in all of them before I departed in 2016. It was almost like visiting a museum! We still had:

M60 MGs (Old guns, with many outstanding MWOs that were never applied)
M60D MGs
M20B1 3.5" Rocket Launcher (AKA 'Super Bazooka')
M139 Hispano-Suiza 20mm Automatic Gun
M85 .50 tank MG
M73E1 and M219 MGs
M14 rifle (only one, which we kept)
Some assorted, obsolete helicopter/aircraft armament, which I knew little about and cared even less. - a 40mm automatic grenade launcher, and two old 20mm Vulcan cannons - or pieces thereof.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts