M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on military.com that the army is asking for manufactures proposals for a compact version of the M110 semi-auto sniper rifle.
Has anyone else heard of this?

Al

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I read on military.com that the army is asking for manufactures proposals for a compact version of the M110 semi-auto sniper rifle.
Has anyone else heard of this?

Al
They've been talking about that for a long time. KAC has their carbine SR25 and I don't see them (military) going with anyone else.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Don't know if Big Army will spend the coin or not but the Marines have embraced the idea along with I believe some in SOCOM. The USMC is upgrading their MK11's (M110) into M110K1's by purchasing a upper kit with 16" chrome lined dimpled barrel and a new suppressor. The K1 has weight a little over 8 lbs vs the 16 lb M110 and the chrome lined barrel allows a much more robust firing schedule than the SS barrel used on the M110. This means the K1 can be classed as a hybrid or crossover useable as both a battle carbine and a sniper rifle, with the 16" barrel and M118 LR velocity is 97% of the 20" and accuracy can be as good or better. The M110 was the SASS the Army speced with heavy SS barrel, the K1 is a much better product improved version.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
When did the usmc start doing this upgrade? I haven't heard anything about that we just got the m110s a couple years ago. I would be really surprised if the Corps was the first ones to adopt a decent weapon system first. It would be nice to get something versatile like that. I'm not gonna lie I'm not a big fan of the m110. They have their issues.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What is that fancy looking thing? I agree our military has a real bad habit of trying to make something that does ok for across a wide spectrum. A semi auto sniper rifle has a purpose and that purpose shouldn't of been to replace a bolt gun like the army tried to push for. We need something like the above rifle, as long as its parts stay together, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The above rifle is an LMT MWS with their smooth sided forearm. 16" 308s actually hit well to about 800 on a target range and since it's a big heavy bullet it still carries a lot of energy. Muzzle velocity is usually about 2450-2500fps for a 175SMK loaded hot. For a frame of reference the "41.5 IMR4895" type loads that lots of people use in their M1As will be about that fast, or a touch faster with the same bullet. perhaps 2550. So what you get with one of these 16" 308 ARs is a rifle that is very practical.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sounds good to me. I almost bought my own 16 in upper last time I deployed for the sass until I found out they had some m14s ready for turnover. That is the only thing I like about the ar. I could patrol with the short light barrel to the op/ambush site and if need be be the long barrel upper to do good work.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When did the usmc start doing this upgrade? I haven't heard anything about that we just got the m110s a couple years ago. I would be really surprised if the Corps was the first ones to adopt a decent weapon system first. It would be nice to get something versatile like that. I'm not gonna lie I'm not a big fan of the m110. They have their issues.

They picked the Benelli M4 first. Wonder if they actually got them delivered before everyone else jumped on that wagon?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If its true that's good thing, and how it should of been in the first place. That's how most military projects happen though. There is a need someone comes up with a good idea and by the time it get in our hands we are left with some overpriced monstrosity wondering what is this piece of crap they just issued me. That being said we should be looking at quickly fielding a m40 replacement. The m40a5 is a awesome rifle, but every other service has started switching to the 300 wm. I hope the big army and the Marine Corps get with it on this one and give us a solid semi auto sniper rifle that is versatile. I always thought when I was lugging around my emr that if this thing had a 18in barrel it would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts