M14 Forum banner

UPS and shipping

5022 Views 66 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  mos
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this…so if it needs to be moved to a different forum please move it.

We’ve had now two customers just this week (week just started) who ship pretty much all UPS. One of our customers is one of our top three customers.

UPS is telling them….any shipping of gun related parts and rifles…even if the shipment is insured…they (UPS) will not honor any claims due to lost shipments. I‘m not sure about damaged shipment but any lost shipments. So they asked UPS. “So if I ship $4k worth of parts and or a complete rifle….and you (UPS) loses the shipment and I insured it…you will not pay the claim?” They said that is CORRECT! They asked…”when did this become policy?” They said effective immediately!

So watch how your shipping your stuff.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
3,761 Posts
FEDEX driver and he would not drop it until he saw my id and took a picture of the bar code on the back... Ran it over his screen too?
I was outraged that this week Fedex did the same to me on a delivery, creating a DATABASE of Napa Wine Club buyers. I'm assuming since this was an extremely large order, six bottles instead of the normal 3 bottles some red flag must have been triggered. The driver appeared "perplexed" over my discomfort with giving an ID and threatened to refuse delivery of alcoholic beverages unless I complied......something about "adult signature" rules.....

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Just had a 30 day battle with FedEx and their idiotic rules to scan ID's. Refused - driver then sent back 6 or more(?) shipments to my business without coming up/in to get signature or attempt to get one -just sent everything back without any notices. Argued with FedEx operators and files numerous complaints with BBB. Got all kinds of BS replies from different level people at fedex - all mostly by/thru the BBB complaint system. All the pokey phone people did was give lip service and never follow up or call back. What a garbage outfit......and it all started with a driver [not of American ethnicity who refused to even go back and ask his boss for clarification on scanning ID's. Followed up by uninformed arrogant CS people. What a world my kids are doomed to live in.......

· Registered
142 Posts
Parts that I order was sent to me using USPS two months ago are still lost. So the vender is resending them to me.
I suppose to get them today or tomorrow as to their tracking.

· Registered
590 Posts
UPS first tried to cheat ME regarding a valid damage claim on a package of camera items in 1972. I've gotten freight through them longer, but never had damage before that. This is not so much about politics as larceny. They've never shown me anything but indifference and incompetence. And WORSE.

FedEx is largely about avoiding liability lawsuits, and frankly, while I hate it, I also understand that portion of their avoidance. It was startling to me to have to show a driver's license at a business address where my license is on the wall. They were delivering anything to do with a vehicle or driving, and they guy KNOWS me. It's miserable, but it gets done. FEDEX customer service is unresponsive in an UGLY and INSANE way, but better than the scum at United Parcel.

UPS treats small shippers worse than dirt, and rips them off constantly. So I don't deal with the bozos.

On small items, by the way, USPS is very much cheaper. However, the Post Office won't do powder, loaded ammo, primers, or anything remotely related to ignition or explosion. They will do brass and bullets.

Another sad part about United Parcel is the rank stupidity of most of their employees. Not to relay anecdotes, but I've been told the most ludicrous and weird things at "hubs", stuff so ridiculous it boggles the mind. Here in my home town, one absurd idiot opened a supremely carefully packaged, many thousand dollar rifle and very nearly damaged it in his his insane act of "security". I was told, too, many times that "firearms and related items cannot be shipped at all" even by "licensed individuals" and only by "companies". I am BOTH, of course. Among other principles I've learned is that dealing with incompetent, crackpots, the delusional and so on is futile and lowers one's psychological tolerance level artificially.

I've never even heard, in over fifty years, of UPS paying a damage claim to a small shipper without a fight. I ship things because I want them to go places, not to pick fights.

· Registered
60 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this…so if it needs to be moved to a different forum please move it.

We’ve had now two customers just this week (week just started) who ship pretty much all UPS. One of our customers is one of our top three customers.

UPS is telling them….any shipping of gun related parts and rifles…even if the shipment is insured…they (UPS) will not honor any claims due to lost shipments. I‘m not sure about damaged shipment but any lost shipments. So they asked UPS. “So if I ship $4k worth of parts and or a complete rifle….and you (UPS) loses the shipment and I insured it…you will not pay the claim?” They said that is CORRECT! They asked…”when did this become policy?” They said effective immediately!

So watch how your shipping your stuff.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Just insure your items as “assembled precision-machined parts” and move on. I’ve shipped handguns that way, though never a long-gun which might be harder given size, shape, weight of the box.

mos

61 - 67 of 67 Posts