M14 Forum banner

UPS and shipping

5025 Views 66 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  mos
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this…so if it needs to be moved to a different forum please move it.

We’ve had now two customers just this week (week just started) who ship pretty much all UPS. One of our customers is one of our top three customers.

UPS is telling them….any shipping of gun related parts and rifles…even if the shipment is insured…they (UPS) will not honor any claims due to lost shipments. I‘m not sure about damaged shipment but any lost shipments. So they asked UPS. “So if I ship $4k worth of parts and or a complete rifle….and you (UPS) loses the shipment and I insured it…you will not pay the claim?” They said that is CORRECT! They asked…”when did this become policy?” They said effective immediately!

So watch how your shipping your stuff.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Perhaps they should focus on when and where the packages became "lost".

When you have to label what's in the box, it just makes it easier for their employees to identify the "good stuff".

I had a few packages of reloading bullets arrive at their destination completely empty.

Obviously cut open.

Realized it was always when I used a certain post office, we have two.

The post office reimbursed me for the contents, but they will only do it once a year.

· Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Nowadays, all UPS packages are tracked. Shy of a truck falling off of a bridge into a river, nothing is "lost." If the package is missing, it was stolen.

So, basically, UPS is admitting that they have an internal theft problem regarding firearms and they don't intend to do anything about it but screw the customer. Nice.
Who do you use?

· Registered
200 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this…so if it needs to be moved to a different forum please move it.

We’ve had now two customers just this week (week just started) who ship pretty much all UPS. One of our customers is one of our top three customers.

UPS is telling them….any shipping of gun related parts and rifles…even if the shipment is insured…they (UPS) will not honor any claims due to lost shipments. I‘m not sure about damaged shipment but any lost shipments. So they asked UPS. “So if I ship $4k worth of parts and or a complete rifle….and you (UPS) loses the shipment and I insured it…you will not pay the claim?” They said that is CORRECT! They asked…”when did this become policy?” They said effective immediately!

So watch how your shipping your stuff.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
That’s called fraud. If you insured it, they have to pay for it, they don’t get to pick and choose

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s called fraud. If you insured it, they have to pay for it, they don’t get to pick and choose
Yep I agree but getting the SOB’s to pay is the problem. So we haven’t been using UPS for the bulk of our stuff anymore for a while now.

A couple of years ago we shipped a rifle to a customer. Never made it there. UPS brings it back to us. The rifle was in a hard case, all wrapped up and bolt removed like we normally do and the case was put into a box as well. Fully insured. I filed a claim with them. The fiberglass stock was broke in two pieces at the wrist. The box was damaged and you could clearly see fork truck tire marks driven over the box. They flat out refused to pay the claim multiple times. We ordered the customer a new stock and repaired everything out of pocket and shipped the rifle to him when it was all done.

A Class 3 dealer I know shipped a MP18 reg full auto that he sold thru his business to the customer. UPS broke the stock on that one as well. He had it insured for well over $10K. Gun was all matching. UPS sent two guys out to his place to talk about the claim and look at the damaged gun. They said they would pay the claim and upon going to leave….they picked the gun up and started walking towards the door. The class 3 owner asked what the hell are you doing. You can’t leave with that. It’s a reg class 3 weapon. They said that they are paying the claim and it is now they’re property. He said it doesn’t work that way. Went and took the gun from them. They said then we will not pay the claim. He called them F’n pricks and told them he would see them in court. He took them to court and got paid but it took about a year for it to get finalized.

· Registered
16,813 Posts
Common carriers like UPS can set their own Terms and Conditions for shipping, which you have to agree to in order to ship an item. If they are changing their insurance policies regarding firearm related items, it needs to be in writing under their Terms and Conditions.

· Registered
Bula
314 Posts
It is beginning to look like the days of ordering online are coming to an end. Now if you want something special you will need to pick it up. It was good while it lasted but I will miss being able to find something that is not local.

· Registered
634 Posts
Makes me wonder if the local gunshows will return to their former status before the internet, the event you circled on your paper calendar and you showed up Saturday morning to wait in line.

That would be the ultimate irony; private sales of everything booming like the old days due to things like this.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts