M14 Forum banner

Upper and lower options for build.

1521 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  trigger643
Ok I’m getting parts in and would like to know if there is a specific brand/ brands I should go with and stay away from. There is a gun show here at the end of the month and not all my parts will be in by then but almost in, so if I can avoid the shipping charges and what not and just pick up an upper and lower at the gun show that would be preferred. I would go to an AR sight but it seems like it is just a pissing contest over there. So any good advice would be welcome.
Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
I personally don't see to much if any difference in lower parts kits. I've only used those supplied by woa cle LRB and one from dpms. Not sure who the makers are but I don't see any difference. Same goes for the a2 pistol grip and stock sets. Outside of that I have used magpul stuff which is nice. Also installed a vtac fft on a buddies rifle bit did not really like the whole loc tite thing on the barrel nut sleeve. Have LRB flat top uppers and LRB lower, they are nice and have great finishes. Have a few A2 uppers one is an old bushmaster the others were supplied by woa and cle. If your going to build an A2 match upper I would consider buying the upper receiver from woa, they sell there receIvers with the pinned rear sights. Not sure what else to say you didn't mention what you were building. I like the Giselle triggers. I've installed the match, service rifle match and most recently an SSA in a carbine. The match style are super sweet and break like nothing I have ever had on an AR. Also if your building an A2 match rifle you may want to consider getting an A1 butt stock, they are 5/8 or so inches shorter than the A2.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touché 82nd I am building an M-4 and want a flat top upper. I have a Wilson 16” barrel with a 1-7 twist and their bolt along with low profile gas block and gas tube, the Giselle 3 gun trigger, Magpul stock and grip, troy 10 inch rail with troy flip up sights, a DMPS lower parts kit( it was a hell of a lot easier getting all those small parts in a kit rather than ordering them separately). It looks like I may have to do a little file work to get the troy front rail to fit properly but I won’t know till I get an upper and put the barrel on it.

Hope that helps and I was looking at LRB for both upper and lower, but figured if there was not any real difference between uppers and lowers see what they have at the next gun show I go to.

· Registered
3,740 Posts
Even on the AR15 forum (Lord help you if you ask a question over there... ), there's a consensus that LRB receivers are a good deal and perfectly reliable. I bought my upper directly from LRB (Widener's has them in stock too for $99) and lucked into a guy who sells the lowers for $92 OTD at our gun shows here.

Everything fit nicely and I didn't have to do any of the prep work my Zediker book warned me about. The finish on the two parts is very consistent, everything lines up nicely, and there aren't any death's heads, snakes or other goofy logos.

I don't need it for my purposes, but it would be nice to have index numbers on the upper receiver rail though.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I see LRB at the show I would almost defiantly pick them up there, but if I see something else with a good fit and finish I just want a heads up on advice. I know that a good deal of members here have built AR’s so I’m just looking for general advice as to what is G2G and what to stay away from. And tin man your opening statement is why I am asking here.

· Registered
596 Posts
Pretty much any upper/lower combo would work nowadays. There is always a chance of getting the 1 in a million from any manufacturer that is out of spec but the only one that i would steer clear of would be blackthorn/hesse/whatever they call themselves now. Any of the big names would serve fine and there is dozens of lesser known companies that roll out perfectly fine products. I've seen RRAs and DPMSs keep up with higher end rifles with proper tuning and care.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Have to give LRB a leg up on the other stuff I bought. The woa and armilite AR-10 upper and lower had blemishes and they were brand new. I really didn't care just making a comparison. The LRB finishes were flawless. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you have an M4 barrel extension on the barrel. Most companies sell them that way now but double check. I picked up a nice bushmaster A2 stripped upper from this forum for 50 bucks sonthere are deals out there. Have fun at the show!!!

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The barrel has the M-4 feed ramp, and if I could not have a good time at a gun show I think I might be on the wrong forum, then again I wouldn’t mind the crowd thinning out so it was just me and all those tables of goodies.

· Registered
3,740 Posts
phillip - I think that you will find a more helpful culture at:

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php

For some reason, that forum will not let me register so I can't do searches but it seems to have far less of the paint ball dweeb "Harold, it's time to stop playing video games and do your homework!" crowd than that other site.

· Registered
170 Posts
I've assembled a few, but am by no means an expert. I do have my preferences, however.

For lowers I prefer the Tactical Innovations T15. It incorporates an internal tensioning screw that eliminates any rattle between upper and lower. Of the half dozen or so I've assembled on these lowers, I've never found one out of spec.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15™-forged-precision-machined-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html

I don't care much for the DPMS lower parts kit. I've had sears and bolt catches come in these kits that were just crap. Given a choice, I currently use Daniel Defense kits, but wouldn't hesitate to use CMMG or Wilson.

For triggers I like Geissele. I'm particularly found of their Hi-Speed DMR 2 stage. Another trigger I quite like is the Bushmaster 2 stage adjustable match trigger.

For uppers, I've never had an issue from any mfg, though I look for the Cerro Forge key hole mark. The current builds I'm running a YHM upper and an Armalite (Cerro forge flat tops), one with a YHM BCG, the other with a Colt BCG, though I've built a few with Fail Zero BCGs, no problem. I've had issues with DPMS & Spikes BCGs being out of spec and I avoid them as a personal preference. The current barrels I'm running are a YHM and a Bushmaster, both free floating.

I've not put anything together yet with LRB components, but have heard good reports and will probably try them on when/if the occasion arises.

There are thousands of accessories, add-ons, do-dads and WTFs out there and I try to stay out of conversations on this stuff as most of it is completely subject personal preference and irrelevant to practical function and accuracy. When someone adds a rail to a rail to a rail to hold their 71 point, 96 stage sling I back away... slowly.

I do use a PRI Gas Buster charging handle on the carbine, since I shoot mostly suppressed, and I do use YHM easy take down pins since I usually transport my weapons disassembled. I also like the KNS non-rotating pins for no particular supportable reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.