M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a lot about people replacing the fore end of their M1A, but aside from replacing the gas plug with a Schuster upgrade to reduce the op rod slamming....why would you replace the gas lock?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm not sure I've read much of that, I don't know why folks would replace the gas lock, I know that a lot of us shim the gas cylinder and sometimes flip the gas lock over for better indexing.

I think the usgi gas plug is by far the most popular gas plug used and I don't think theres much of a problem with loads up to 175gr with op rod slamming.

I think the reason some folks use the schuster gas plug is when they run a can, the gas can be adjusted.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I've used several SEI gas cylinders and pistons. Very high quality and easy to clean.

I use a Schuster overbored and vented (non-adjustable) on all rifles. Federal GMM 175gr has 43 grains of 4064 in it, which I consider to be a hot load.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,421 Posts
why would you replace the gas lock?
To install one that times/indexes (as looking at the front of the gas cylinder) finger tight at 5:30 and to be tightened to 6:00 with a gas lock wrench, for the purpose of the gas cylinder not moving around and proper functioning.
Schuster makes two plugs, vented/bored and adjustable. I prefer the vented/bored, it allows some gas to escape at one setting (small open hole at the front) and slows the travel speed of the op rod a bit, which I would guess over time might lessen wear on the hard parts of your rifle, especially with heavier loads. The adjustable plug can be opened up until the op rod barely cycles, or doesn't cycle for whatever reason the shooter wants that. I have had good results with the Schuster plug with all ammo I have tried from 110gr TAP up to 175gr M118LR, no compromise in reliability.
m14brian

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Ive read a lot about people replacing the fore end of their M1A, but aside from replacing the gas plug with a Schuster upgrade to reduce the op rod slamming....why would you replace the gas lock?
The schuster plug is for running hotter loads. If you are a do-it-yourselfer read up on gas system shimming, unitizing, and piston grooves. I don't know why anyone would replace the gas lock, maybe fitment when it was shimmed.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I've used several SEI gas cylinders and pistons. Very high quality and easy to clean.

I use a Schuster overbored and vented (non-adjustable) on all rifles. Federal GMM 175gr has 43 grains of 4064 in it, which I consider to be a hot load.
I use IMR 4064 and 175 gr SMK in my reloads and it won't hurt the rifle. Now anything slower then IMR4064 and heavier then 175 grains well your on your own there...
I have the standard gas plug on my SAI rifle. I guess it is USGI.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You can run pretty hot loads with everything standard. I would say that out of all the modifications you can do to your rifle the two that make the biggest difference will be unitizing the gas system and properly bedding the receiver in a good stock.

·
Registered
510 Posts
All I have done thus far is install a Sadlack recoil spring guide in mine, I might install a TiN coated gas piston, but that would only be for increased reliability under adverse conditions.... If all I shot were "hot" loads or even M-118LR all day long, I would install a grooved gas piston to lower recoil and reduce wear and tear on my weapon..... YMMV..... On a side note, is this thread about reliability or accuracy with the weapon in question? (I am most certainly interested in both...)
USN2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts