M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wtf, why doesn't it come standard lol. After a short range day, I can definitely feel the difference.

(SOCOM II in an EBR mod 1)

Anything else I can upgrade to make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Adding USGI trigger parts and David Tubbs chrome silicon hammer spring will give you a really nice trigger pull.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Dataniel, they sure smooth up the feel of the action don't they? Try what evilgrin says on the Tubbs springs and USGI the hammer and trigger of your trigger group. Then spring for a trigger job by a good M14 gunsmith.

Reactions: evilgrin

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have all of that plus a Shooting Sight Trigger and a Beretta hammer sitting in a box ready to go. Unfortunately I have some health issues that have to go first before I can get to the range.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wtf, why doesn't it come standard lol. After a short range day, I can definitely feel the difference.

(SOCOM II in an EBR mod 1)

Anything else I can upgrade to make a noticeable difference?

That was my exact response too when I 1st fired my scout squad after upgrading to a Sadlak NM spring guide. Took a lot of the jump out of the rifle. The difference in recoil is like night & day isn't it?

After I got back from the range I gave Springfield a call & asked them why they don't make their spring guides like that.
Their answer... To keep the rifle cost down for the consumer.
No joke. That was their answer.

The Sadlak Mag Release makes it sooooooo much easier to knock out an empty mag & snap in a new one. I LOVE that fat button.

I put in a Sadlak stainless steel gas pistion & my groups tightened up an average 0.5 MOA. Not entirely sure how much of that is the piston or how much is me improving as a shooter. I'm leaning toward the piston since the improvement happened almost immediately.

I also tossed in one of those plastic recoil buffers just for the hell of it. I didn't really notice any additional recoil reduction, but it did eliminate that loud *ping* when the op-rod slams back. If anything it will reduce wear & tare on your op-rod & receiver. That alone is worth the $15. I bought a few spares for replacements. ONTOS

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just bought one myself via Midway, can't wait to put it in and see how it does in my Scout Squad.

Reactions: RightHand

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
just curious, what makes a spring guide a nm? how can a spring guide improve accuracy?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
just curious, what makes a spring guide a nm? how can a spring guide improve accuracy?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKATXQuDId8[/ame]
http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sg.html
http://sadlak.com/si_spring_guide_history.html
Our National Match Spring Guide improves the consistency and smooth motion of the operating rod which help reduce wear and increase rifle accuracy over the standard stamped GI guide. Our NM Spring Guides are NOT made from a cut-off stamped GI guide welded to a round drill rod. These make-shift NM GI guides often have a soft magazine catch caused by the welding and may not be precisely aligned because of poor fixturing.

SpacerOur NM spring guides are produced to the same specifications as the military’s national match rifles. The precision is enhanced by making them from one-solid piece of round 8620 tool steel with no welding to cause distortion. Each is case hardened to 40-45 HRc in an inert gas furnace to help maintain straightness and uniform hardness for long service. They are finished with a corrosive resistant Mil. Spec. manganese phosphate (aka Parkerized). What makes our NM Spring Guides unique and more accurate is our precision alignment of the magazine catch to the guide shaft. This is achieved by turning the .344 diameter shaft from a larger diameter solid rod. The magazine catch is then precision CNC machined while being located from the guide shaft. Four flats are milled into .344 shaft body to reduce weight and friction between the spring which adds to the smooth action while precisely guiding the operating rod.

spacerThis product has been field tested in national matches by Dave Ferrante of Heart Mountain Precision Machining, who is a gunsmith and distinguished high-power competitor (email: [email protected]). Approximately 4000 rounds have been fired from his match rifle using our spring guide, with no appreciable wear on the catch or shaft. Mr. Ferrante states, “It’s the finest quality guide out there.”

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got mine last week, just waiting on the Tubbs spring to come in so I can put it all back together and test her out. After reading your post I am now more anxious than before to get the rifle out on the range!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Installed one in my Scout last week. Amazed at how slick the bolt moves. Fired 50 rds. Sure feels better. Just ordered another for my Standard. A great improvement over stock part.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Installed one in my Scout last week. Amazed at how slick the bolt moves. Fired 50 rds. Sure feels better. Just ordered another for my Standard. A great improvement over stock part.
Without the bolt in my rifle, I can't feel anything but smoothness when I cycle the op-rod back and forth with the USGI spring guide. I just can't see how a different spring guide could make it any smoother.

Took a lot of the jump out of the rifle. The difference in recoil is like night & day isn't it?

How can the spring guide affect recoil? This is a new one for me.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Delete.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

For the best accuracy you want consistency, for everything.
The Sadlak guide controls the spring better (IMHO) with more consistency.

YMMV.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Without the bolt in my rifle, I can't feel anything but smoothness when I cycle the op-rod back and forth with the USGI spring guide. I just can't see how a different spring guide could make it any smoother.
How can the spring guide affect recoil? This is a new one for me.
With the stock off your rifle ,look at the spring on the spring guide it's doesn't lay in a consistent linear manner, some of the spring hangs to the left some to the right as the spring bunches up over the spring guide, and it NEVER goes back in the same place. When you put a Sadlak in the spring is centered no hanging off to the left or right and it returns to the exact same place centered after every shot. So instead of the spring wadding up, it maintains a correct spring shape with the Sadlak and smooths up the compression and release of the op spring and making it more consistent. Consistency and removing variables is the key to accuracy. I don't know if it reduces recoil , but it does smooth the recoil up . It wouldn't sell so well and be one of the 1st modifications mentioned by almost every M1A/M14 shooter on this site IF it didn't work. Some mods are eye candy designed just to sell parts for imagined problems and fixes , the NM spring guide is not one of them, Dollar wise it's one of the best improvements you can make to your rifle. PS Watch the video the Shooter put in upstairs. If you can't see the difference on the video , no amount of words will help.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
PS Watch the video the Shooter put in upstairs. If you can't see the difference on the video , no amount of words will help.
I can see the difference fine, thank you.

How has it affected your groups? I read about people installing a NM style spring guide all the time but they never follow up with proof of results.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts

How has it affected your groups?
Quite a few less uncalled flyers , my groups are tighter spaced. This modification was originally developed by the Army and Marine Corp Armorers building rifles to compete at the National Match with, who welded the mag hook end to a round rod with a tapered end. Sadlak just took that proven idea and made a one piece model. Look up the history of it . It works.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
5,433 Posts

How has it affected your groups? I read about people installing a NM style spring guide all the time but they never follow up with proof of results.
Sadlak has two detailed pages explaining all the differences between USGI spring guide and their National match guide. Just read it!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I'll be honest I'm not rich I don't have the spare cash to blow on unproven worthless crap specifically designed to separate fools from their money and Lord knows there's enough of that crap out there . Prices have gone though the roof on everything & I have other things I'd rather spend my limited budget on. I view most of the "Gotta Have" mods with a "show me" attitude because frankly both my M1A's shoot very well, if they didn't I wouldn't own them , believe me I've owned a "few" and have only kept the "keepers". I don't condemn or condone any gun or part that I'm not familiar with. After six decades of buying, selling,& shooting guns I don't get fooled on BS parts very often. I certainly wasn't with these type of N.M. op. rod guides.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts