M14 Forum banner

Updated: New Fulton Armory M14 Mag Catch Problem

1684 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  warbird
Another first post from an M14 newbie!! I have 3 DCM Garands and just got my first Fulton Armory Service Grade M14 a few days ago (Christmas present ). Out of the box, beautful rifle and nice fit and finish. Until I tried putting in the magazine out at the range. I tried several different mags including the 10 rounder that came with the rifle and some GI 20 rounders. The mag catch would not engage for any of these, except once or twice with lots of persuasion. HoHoHo It seems like the mag catch lever was too long or something else is out of tolerance. The mags went into the well all the way. When I did get a mag to engage, the rifle was a great shooter. I tried putting on a GI synthetic stock and still no good. I will get back with Clint next week and probably ship this back for repair. Hope FA lives up to their customer service reputation....

Is this mag catch issue a common problem with these guns? Thanks for any info and looking forward to this forum.

UPDATE: I called Clint and explained the problem. He said that they tolerance the magazine catch pretty tight so the mag won't rattle. I said that's great as long as you can get the mag to engage reliably and right now I've got a single shot rifle. I'm shipping the trigger group back and Clint will work on it right away.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,221 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Firing Line and Merry Christmas - MiddleMan =D>

Getting an M1A is about the coolest Christmas present I can think of - unless it's getting two M1As. Glad you've decided to join the crew - I know we've got quite a few FA M1A owners here that will be more than happy to help out once they wake up from their self-induced turkey "coma". :lol: :lol: :lol:

What ever is going wrong, I'd be willing to bet you a whole nickle that Clint and his folks will make it right.

Let us know how things go, OK?

BTW - we all love pics so we can drool on the keyboard. :lol:

Pull that chair on up to the table and we'll set a place for ya. \:D/

db

· Registered
139 Posts
mag problem

One question: Were you trying to insert a full mag into the rifle with the bolt closed? If so, I've had the same problem before. So usually I lock the bolt open, insert the mag, then let the bolt fly. Hope this helps, and welcome aboard! :D

· Registered
22 Posts
Magazine catch

A friend of mine had this same problem with his rifle. He called SA and talked to a couple of people (don't know their names) and finally talked to someone that told him to take the operating rod guide out and deepen the slot at the rear toward the spring. I am not a gunsmith of any kind but I think this is also the magazine catch. The fellow at SA told him to take it easy and go a little at a time until the magazine did stay in place with the magazine loaded. They told him to call back if that did not fix it. He got a small, fine round file and did this. It worked. He never had a problem after that. I watched him do this and he did not take off too much material at all. He figured that if he screwed it up it would not cost that much to get another guide and if it fixed it he wouldn't have to send it back to SA.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies! Even with bolt open, empty magazine and slamming the mag home, the mag catch just won't engage. Another symptom is that the trigger guard swivels **really** hard to release the trigger group from the stock, way harder than my Garands. Maybe that's normal but it doesn't seem right. I'll post updates on how all this gets worked out with Fulton Armory.

· Registered
562 Posts
It sounds to me like you just aren't doing it right. This is just because you had said that every once in a while it would work. make sure you "rock" the mag into place. Whatever it is, good luck.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Middleman, I wouldn't worry about the trigger group being tight that will most likely loosen with time and is better to be tight right now. The mags not catching does sound like the oprod guide. Since it is a service grade Fulton than that should be a USGI guide. Fulton will most likely send you another. Which that's good to keep as a spare, but you'd be better off putting a NM oprod guide in like a Sadlak or Badger or one of Roosters or Fultons NM. I use the Sadlak in mine and it gives me a much better lock-up of the mags and smooths out the action. It will cost you about $40 and be worth every dime.
http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sg.html

· Banned
1,843 Posts
Re: More Newbie Rifle Problems FA M14 Mag Catch

MiddleMan said:
The mag catch would not engage for any of these, except once or twice with lots of persuasion. It seems like the mag catch lever was too long or something else is out of tolerance.

Is this mag catch issue a common problem with these guns? Thanks for any info and looking forward to this forum.
First of all, don't rock the mag or try to jam the mag in.
Doing so will destroy good mags.

Sounds like the op-rod spring guide needs to be fitted.
I say that because you stated a couple mags went in with a little force.

Just file the end of the guide that hooks into the hole on the front of the mag till they go in without excessive force. File a little and try the fit. They should lock up good and release easily when the mag is removed.

There's probably nothing wrong with the mag release and your problem may be fixed without sending it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.