M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was amazing. Except for the blistering heat it was a beautiful sunny day. Thankfully several people had those pop up canopy shelters. It was truly a blessing to be able to shoot in the shade, I didn't expect that.
I ended up competing in F T/R class. I used my SAI loaded, and was the only semi auto in my class. This was a small match, probably only 10 to 12 competitors in all. I was surprised when informed that I was to go first, but hey, no big deal.
After introducing myself and briefly speaking with the director, I told him this was my first competition as well as my first time shooting 600yds. As I gently got into position I noticed he was behind me at his spotting scope. After the shot when my target came back up there it was, my first shot, a 9. I slowly craned my head around to take a glance at the director. He did look rather surprised. The rest of my string went rather well I thought, all 10's, 9's and two bulls. And that one I pulled that got me an 8.
As the match progressed it became my turn to work the pit. Even though my back is a disaster I didn't say anything and reported as ordered. That move was the beginning of the end.
Immediately after pit duty I had to assume the firing line again. The pain was incredible and my heart rate was astronomical. Now the wind picked up. As it blew into my face on the firing line it was going right to left at the 600yd line. There were no other flags. This time my rounds were mostly in the 8 & 9 range with a few 10's. It wasn't the wind. Not much in the way of horizontal stringing. Between my pain, heart rate and a good mirage it was impossible to maintain proper alignment. I did find a way to elevate my right hip which allowed for some relief in prone. I was able to complete the match, just barely. My score declined by a little after the third round. I was spent. When I arrived home I slept for four hours.
This was a wonderful experience. Thank you all for the help and wisdom from my dumbest questions to the most complicated subject. If not for you guys there is no way I would be at a match shooting my own loads. Thank you,
Ben

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I always said, when I get too old to shoot high power rifle, I'll become a pistol wimp. Well that day is here, but I refuse to give in. Pistol shooter: Looks like rain, better call off the match. Small Bore shooter: Excuse me, could you move just a little to the right so I can be partly on solid ground? High Power shooter: Well, here is a big old mud hole, so this must be the firing line.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good for you Real steel! What a satisfying accomplishment. Sounds like you had a good experience. I always find it important to pay special attention to new shooters in our highpower league. There is a core of the same old guys who have been in the league for 10-20 years. They will help you with anything if you ask them, but not always outgoing to new shooters. I will never forget the first time out with this league. Two guys really took me under wing to help me every step of the way. Every club / range is a little different, and its no fun not knowing where everything is and how everything works. I have paid it back many times. Look for the guy with the "what do we do next" look on his face, and stick with him to explain everything. Glad to see you had a good experience there. I hope you keep interested in coming back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts