M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
I too have a "pre-war" M1, from May of 1941. On days like today I make a point to pick it up and remember all the Greatest Generation Vets I have known. It is a project I picked up, never having owned a wartime M1 before. It gives off very interesting "Walter Mitty vibes". It has the slickest action of any M1 I have ever owned, particularly when loading a full clip - it feels "right", with never a concern of the bolt "catching you".

It is very interesting to pick it up and hold it in your hands and Know that it was, at the very least, in the hands of a US Soldier during those most perilous times. It is not as well finished (tool marks on all the major parts) as the later M1 rifles - but it seems, even before the US got into the war, that we were alread in a hurry, to ramp up production. Everyone knew war was coming. Mine probably served in the Pacific, but the important point is, it was there.

And as a solid wood and steel "Connection" to our heros of the past, it is important that we work to preserve these "pieces of history", and protect them from their only real enemies - politicians and rust. We cannot stop the "fading away" of the Gallant Men who held them - but we can preserve the memories of their deed, and the men themselves, through their implements. CC

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait to finish my Jan of 42 Winchester, for all practical purposes it is fine and shoots now, but I have it to nearly all correct. So she sits right now missing a lockbar rear sight and that is all.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do know, but most of the early garands were ovhauled by 43-44, that is why mine has a 6-43 barrel

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I know it is not cause I got it as a barreled receiver, all parts are correct for 43 time frame except the op rod and bolt. Op rod is a -9 flat unmodified and bolt is a post war ( the finish matched and I wanted a reliable piece that would head space with little work)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts