M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after two decades of putting in I finally got a moose permit! Hopefully, a bull has a bad day this fall and ends up in my freezer.
So, I've been thinking of using my M1A. I figure with either 180SST's or Nosler partitions, maybe accubond. I know it can be done with the right shot.
Does anyone have any first hand experience hunting moose with a M1A? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't no anyone with a M1A but with a .308 , yes , load it up with some 165 Partitions or Bonded Bear Claws, keep your shots inside 300 and make them count . You can kill a moose with a 30-30 and people still do. It's all about shot placement with a large critter like that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do not have any firsthand experience, but I do know that a 308 is sufficient.

I have heard anything from a 30-30, 270, 30-06, 308, up to a .338 used to hunt Moose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on drawing a permit, What district ?
My brother just told me he missed out on the draw today. Too bad because plenty of animals here. My camp is north of Moosehead lake, I think dist. 4 and 5 close by.
I've been here since early May brook fishing and lots of Moose on the roads. I don't put in
due to high cost and low odds for non residents. Locals keep me supplied with meat though, as I've helped them on previous hunts.
Anyway, back to subject. I suggest Rem 150 core-lokt. Good ballistics and great stopping power on big animals. Moose take a minute more to drop than a deer, and the 150's work well in the gas guns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured people have done it with a .308 I guess I wanted someone else's input to give me a warm fuzzy. I have a .338ME and .300WM that I'll bring as back up. I know I would have to pick my shot. Of course I want an ethical kill and I don't want to give it a chance to run off and make drag a long ways.
I managed to pull zone 4. It runs from the western edge of Baxter to the Canadian border. The southern edge is the golden road. I don't think I'm going to have a problem finding moose haha. I'm going to scout a couple days this summer and get an idea where to try. Any ideas where to start would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've shot 3 moose with my British made Parker-Hale Safari, caliber .270win. (Sako softpoint hammerhead. 10,1g). I think .270 win isn't "the best of the best" caliber for moose hunting, but it works... The bullet is fast, but it easily changes it's direction (e.g. small branches).

I can't wait for a next moose hunting season, I'm going to take my .308 LDT m14 and .30-06 Garand with me. BTW .308 and .30-06 are very widely used for a moose hunting here in Finland.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on drawing district 4, some of the most scenic, best moose country. I'ts a huge area so I suggest you contact North Maine Woods inc. in Ashland and obtain maps and camping info. Its all gated and controlled by them. Camping is the best way to stay close your hunting area, but takes logistics and good equipment. heavy duty trailer with a winch is ideal for carrying the animal.
Lots of folks have good success basing closer to Millinocket and riding the roads all day. An excellent place for this, further west, is Pittston farm. They have decent cabins and probably a package deal with meals included. Just a short run on good road up to Golden Rd.
I've got extra bunks and would be glad to put you up free, but I'm further south, about 15 miles up to Golden Rd.
Summer scouting is perfect to get an idea of the country, remember the bulls move much more when the rut starts .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.