M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has arrived and analysis can begin. All rust in the pictures is minor and most appears to wipe off with break free and a small amount of elbow grease, no pitting is present anywhere on the unit. First off regardless of who built the unit the barrel is in excellent condition and gauges 1.5 with a bright shiny bore and sharp lands, the muzzle has a couple dings but the crown appears unaffected and the machining for the splines is in good shape. No markings can be found anywhere on the entire unit. The HRA op rod is in great condition with a tab that tapers slightly from .99 down to.87. Starting from the front the flash hider looks to be a USGI that was cut down on almost all angles. It appears to be well done and refinished. The gas system is a screwed and glued unit, the only thing odd is the size of the head on the gas shut off.

The sling attachment appears to be custom made for this unit and is removable.
The Op rod guide is dovetailed and soldered on to the barrel. The operating spring guide is interesting and I have never seen one like this before. Here are a few pictures of the unit. If you have specific questions I will do my best to answer them. Overall I feel I did okay and now have to decide whether I want to build or move it.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pics.

Reactions: MAC702

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What did you pay for it, if I may ask?
495$, I followed that auction like a hawk. thanks for the update 3gunna. thats an odd place to put a sling mount, i can see how it could get in the way of the sights esspecially with a sling attached. Just the other day i was wondering how it turned out for you. I was hoping it had a nice op rod tab. glad it turned out well . I cant wait to see you build it up. you have any plans for the receiver your gonna use? it would be kind of cool if you got that thing flutted

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$505.00 with shipping. But I did end up getting a few extras.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Oh man, that is screaming for EBR build, one question, what is it's over all length when installed? Im sure you have a rifle you can line it up with.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
$505.00 with shipping. But I did end up getting a few extras.
Nice haul, op-rod and a rear complete unitized G/C with a NM op-rod spring guide I think you faired well, the barrel was almost free.

Remember I called dibs on what's left of the front half of the receiver.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the op rod guide brazed or welded?

Bruce
My best guess is brazed, but it is also dovetailed into the barrel.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys I made a decision on what I'm going to do with some of the parts and posted an ad in the PX just for those of you that are interested.

·
Banned
951 Posts
I bid but flamed out @400.00 as I was worried about the TE...if on a test bed rifle they could have cooked it...Glad it measures as new...You took a gamble and won....Good for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts