M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... yes I know I am asking about a universal Carbine and yes I do have an issue. But I couldn't pass up the price for the gun. Well here it is, I have shot maybe 40 rounds in it and then the op rod broke at the weld. I don't have a welder, is there an epoxy that is strong enough to keep this together? Parts seem scarce out there in the webs and I'm not sure that the part I get is going to last long either. I don't think I can get to a welder anytime soon at all. So will putty work at all? Perhaps a few rounds and then break again? Well, what does he group think? Thanks all.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I happened to do something a bit different altogether. Not sure how long it'll work though. I drilled and tapped a 8/32 machine screw into the block thus securing the handle portion back to the portion that slides under the barrel where the springs go. I'll end up putting jb weld on it later but first I need to make sure it cycles under fire. It cycles now empty and the bolt goes fully into battery on an empty case.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! Yes I have some full face protection and will absolutely use it. I will try to run at least one more tapped hole in the block. Thanks all! I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,737 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Universal Carbine slide problem. Usually it's the gas cylinders that fail first and blow the piston nut out.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The universal carbine. My first actual firearm. I bought one at a show in high school off a guy walking around. Came with a bunch of ammo for $150.

I say weld before drilling any more holes. If a new part is not desired, that is.

After all that get a Choate Tool Corp polymer pistol grip stock and a scope mount. Ah, to long for the good ole days...

·
Forum Jester
8,444 Posts
keep an eye out for extra ones on ebay,unless you can modify a gi one

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Can not modify GI slide. His Universal is a late version where the slide is stamped and welded steel. The receiver slide slot is different and the slide takes two recoil springs. 1 spring on each side.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,548 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Didn't the early Universal's use GI parts? Here's some more info on Universal's

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universal_m1/universal_m1_carbine.htm

Casey
Yes early ones used GI parts but around 1966 the design was changed. The slide design was completely changed as was the receiver, Never heard of the early version cracking a slide. In fact ever early one I ever saw had a GI slide on it. The later slides use a stamped rear half welded to a block. The slide has a cut out in the side for the bolt cam. Because of this cut out section the slide is not nearly as strong as a GI slide. As the rear half is stamped steel the cam cuts are cut completely thru the slide.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey all. Here are some pics of what I did. Range test today. My fingers are crossed. If this does not work the then I will purchase another slide.

The screw holes are not in line because the drill bits (I broke 6 of them) would not drill through the previous weld. Oh and I broke 2 taps. Darn thing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.