M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few unissued usgi Springfield Armory M14 stocks floating around on gun broker and other places. Some of the sellers say that Springfield Armory wrote the serial number inside the stock of the reciever that it was married to during original manufacture. Is this true or b.s?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I don't know if it's true or not but can you provide a link to one of the stocks?

I have a Polytech M-14 that I've converted over to USGI Springfield parts and I could use one of the stocks. A USGI Springfield stock would be the perfect finishing touch. That is if one of the stocks is not too pricey.

7th

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I have seen a few unissued usgi Springfield Armory M14 stocks floating around on gun broker and other places. Some of the sellers say that Springfield Armory wrote the serial number inside the stock of the reciever that it was married to during original manufacture. Is this true or b.s?

Thanks!
I do not know if it is true or not, but I doubt it. Slpringfield did not mark Garand stocks and marry them to a rifle and there is no reason to have done it for the M14.

I HAVE seen grease pencil marks in barrel channels of stocks that came from Arsenals AFTER the rifle was rebuilt at the 5th Echelon Depot's or Arsenals. SOMETMES they matched the last few numbers of the serial number and sometimes they didn't. MOST of the time it looks like they were marked with Depot Work Order numbers and that makes sense.

BTW, Depot Work Orders (DWO's) and Depot Repair Orders (DRO's) were terms the Marine Corps used, though I believe the Army used one or the other terms in their Depot's/Arsenals as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would post the link but the darn auction had ended and it's no longer on Gunbroker where you can see it. The number looked to be in some kind of grease pencile and the number was s3xxxxx. It was a 3 hundred thousand number that started with an s but I can remember what it was. I was going to buy one of them because they looked flawless and had great dod and circle p
stamp but like everything else I forgot to bid and did not know if it was real.

Thanks so much for the info and help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.