M14 Forum banner

Unissued SA M1 Garand

6K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  snowbound 
#1 ·
I was recently bidding on a unissued Springfield M1 Garand with the foil still on the front and rear sights through the CMP. It was a low 6 million serial #, I’m thinking mid 1970s ? It was a little banged up from storage and was dry as a bone. I thought hey I’d like to have it at a reasonable price. Boy was I in for a surprise. I was floored on how much it actually went for and was outbid almost double. Am I missing something on the value of these? Dont really see much of an investment when you go over $3-4k on a 1970s M1 Garand. I thought even the Korean War era ones were pushing it on value and desire to have. I have always been told the WW2 time frame are the most sought after. Kudos to the guy who won the bid but it was way out of my financial comfort zone.

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
I don’t understand why oiling the metal decreases the value. That would probably be one of the first things I would want to do. Disassemble, oil, functions check, then to the safe it goes. Just having that peace of mind is worth more than money to me. I guess it’s like having an old barrett Jackson car, you know it’s worth money but you have to know it runs too. Just my 2 cents.

#50 ·
Thanks Shomway. My buddy is executor for a relatives high end collection. This was his only milsurp. Suspect it was an investment. He contacted me for an appraisal. I am eperienced but by no means an expert. Will request a serial number search from CMP. Buddy is search for paperwork. Waiting for him to provide the rifle for breakdown and further inspection. What surprises me is the condition of the metal. I know a few of you from the CMP Forum.

Camera accessory Cylinder Gas Camera lens Optical instrument

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

Fixture Cylinder Gas Nickel Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.