M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently bidding on a unissued Springfield M1 Garand with the foil still on the front and rear sights through the CMP. It was a low 6 million serial #, I’m thinking mid 1970s ? It was a little banged up from storage and was dry as a bone. I thought hey I’d like to have it at a reasonable price. Boy was I in for a surprise. I was floored on how much it actually went for and was outbid almost double. Am I missing something on the value of these? Dont really see much of an investment when you go over $3-4k on a 1970s M1 Garand. I thought even the Korean War era ones were pushing it on value and desire to have. I have always been told the WW2 time frame are the most sought after. Kudos to the guy who won the bid but it was way out of my financial comfort zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know having that unissued letter from the CMP means a lot, but even after psyching myself up to a little over $3k I had to take a step back down to reality. There are just some things you will never see a decent return on. I realistically see them going for $5k max at an auction on a good day in the future.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yup. I saw a cosmoline wrapped WWII sniper go for well over 8k. I got an unwrapped/non cosmoline WWII sniper for much less than that and I am very happy with it but these rifles go for big money due to the history and the fact that the CMP is running out of M1s.

Did you want one for history or are you looking for an M1 to shoot or both?
At this level, it is an investment.
One question to the knowledgeable,would it decrease the value to disassemble and oil the screaming parts that need some much needed attention ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This hobby is turning into a slight obsession with all the information and literature on these original American rifles. I find the 1937-1945 SA and Winchester more desirable due to WWII. I’m sure it’s getting harder and harder to assemble or find correct era platforms now. I’ve always wanted a Winchester correct grade.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Weapons are definitely valuable to collect especially if there is a profit margin. There’s always a threshold though along with desirability and demand. Not only do they hold a monetary value they have an essential value as well unlike paper money in the event of catastrophic events.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don’t understand why oiling the metal decreases the value. That would probably be one of the first things I would want to do. Disassemble, oil, functions check, then to the safe it goes. Just having that peace of mind is worth more than money to me. I guess it’s like having an old barrett Jackson car, you know it’s worth money but you have to know it runs too. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts