M14 Forum banner

Unissued SA M1 Garand

3165 50
I was recently bidding on a unissued Springfield M1 Garand with the foil still on the front and rear sights through the CMP. It was a low 6 million serial #, I’m thinking mid 1970s ? It was a little banged up from storage and was dry as a bone. I thought hey I’d like to have it at a reasonable price. Boy was I in for a surprise. I was floored on how much it actually went for and was outbid almost double. Am I missing something on the value of these? Dont really see much of an investment when you go over $3-4k on a 1970s M1 Garand. I thought even the Korean War era ones were pushing it on value and desire to have. I have always been told the WW2 time frame are the most sought after. Kudos to the guy who won the bid but it was way out of my financial comfort zone.

Attachments

Reactions: IraG2362
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Like Kurt said, they stopped building Garands in the mid/late 50's. Your price is right in the ballpark. A very M1 knowledgeable member here named Orlando put in what he said was a low bid of $3,000.00 and change, 2-3 of years ago on a never issued M1. If I remember right, no one else bid on it and he won. Sent to him in the silver protective paper and in a CMP case. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: 15636215

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I’m sure it will be a safe queen wherever it goes. So it being unissued, it should have all original SA parts right and not a mix and match?
You are correct about all correct. Just like when it left the factory. There are only so many of these left so really kinda rare. You would be the first person it would be issued to in 60+ years.....think about that!

·
Premium Member
21,887 Posts
I’m sure it will be a safe queen wherever it goes. So it being unissued, it should have all original SA parts right and not a mix and match?
That would be right. Getting back that kind of money on resale would be near impossible. This is what happens when bidders get going. I did bid succesfully on a couple of Bavarian carbines a few years ago that were needed to fill holes in my collection. I know they were 20% over their worth, but I really wanted them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The unissued Garands at auction are slowly trending upward, they will only go higher as the CMP runs out eventually of unissued to sell. If CMP papered to you is important then you have to pay the price. I rarely see the unissued Garands for sale on the secondary market. I guess you know that the CMP will accept returns and refund your $, or at least they have for the last 20 years….makes explaining to your wife much easier when you purchase from their auction.

·
Premium Member
21,887 Posts
Picked up a bunch of CMP Service Grade Specials awhile back both HRA and SA. They were collector grade metal that had the stocks removed for use on other rifles. Not un-issued, but sure close. Came with new CMP wood. For clarification, these were not the CMP specials with new Criterion barrels and some new parts that we see now.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have a few of the CMP M1 rifles. All gems in my book. I also was lucky enough in the last M1 Carbine release to get one of those in the lottery. I shoot that one a lot. I will end up shooting all my CMP rifles with probably the exception of the one Field Grade M1 that appears to be a bit well worn. Unissued will go very high right now unless you catch the auction sleeping. I don't have a foil wrapped, unissued one yet. That may be a next year purchase...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know having that unissued letter from the CMP means a lot, but even after psyching myself up to a little over $3k I had to take a step back down to reality. There are just some things you will never see a decent return on. I realistically see them going for $5k max at an auction on a good day in the future.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I know having that unissued letter from the CMP means a lot, but even after psyching myself up to a little over $3k I had to take a step back down to reality. There are just some things you will never see a decent return on. I realistically see them going for $5k max at an auction on a good day in the future.
Yup. I saw a cosmoline wrapped WWII sniper go for well over 8k. I got an unwrapped/non cosmoline WWII sniper for much less than that and I am very happy with it but these rifles go for big money due to the history and the fact that the CMP is running out of M1s.

Did you want one for history or are you looking for an M1 to shoot or both?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yup. I saw a cosmoline wrapped WWII sniper go for well over 8k. I got an unwrapped/non cosmoline WWII sniper for much less than that and I am very happy with it but these rifles go for big money due to the history and the fact that the CMP is running out of M1s.

Did you want one for history or are you looking for an M1 to shoot or both?
At this level, it is an investment.
One question to the knowledgeable,would it decrease the value to disassemble and oil the screaming parts that need some much needed attention ?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
At this level, it is an investment.
One question to the knowledgeable,would it decrease the value to disassemble and oil the screaming parts that need some much needed attention ?
Investment would be in one of the rare rifles and that would mean auction. If you just want some history they are still selling Rack Grade M1s for $650 shipped. If you wanted a shooter then you can go with the M1s with new barrel and stock RM1EXPERT. My first Garand was one with a new barrel and stock but all the rest are random mix masters with one Collector Grade.

If I were you just keep trying to bid on the unissued rifles and maybe up your bid a bit. BTW - I never bid on a CMP rifle until right at the end.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts