M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've had a wood stock and handguard for my socom for a long time. My brother had made mention on how he loves the socom for the m1 lines that it has. So much so, that he got his own.

Well, given it's almost Christmas, I thought that undressing his socom of its glass stock and dressing it in an all wood setup would be a nice present.

I had a couple surprises along the way. The bolt and oprod were SA and the tg was HRA. I didn't think any of the socoms would be blessed like that out of the factory. Very cool. If it's a USGI bolt, is it likely USGI internals?

I fit the wood handguard on and it's loose, really loose. I can rotate it around the barrel. Any fixes for this? Pretty bummed. The damn thing might as well be a cow bell it rattles so much.

Lastly, I forgot that the stock was a Boyd's. That thing has a thick profile. It just doesn't look right matched up to the handguard.

It still looks good but I'm underwhelmed. I will say this, holding it in walnut feels nice. I figured it was just an Old Salt thing to talk about the feel of walnut. It really is a good feel.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
There is just something about wood on a socom that is just classy. Well done on that beauty

Reactions: delong31

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is just something about wood on a socom that is just classy. Well done on that beauty
Thanks! It's definitely reminiscent of the original M1 with all wood. I'll have to pay more attention to the stock profile next time. I do love handling it like this.

Ill snap a better pic as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My socom 2 that I got new about a year ago has a HRA trigger group as well.

Maybe they were just out of stock on the standard triggers during the assembly?

I have it in a troy mcs currently but I may have to ditch that for wood. That looks great.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
The Boyd's stocks are the same oversized ones that they use for the National Match models, just without the inletting for the bedding. Some folks have trimmed them down, but you are probably better off with a USGI one.

Apparently, the USGI one had slightly different profiles as well, depending on the manufacturer. I'm sure someone here can recommend one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wish mine came with an HRA TG. You're stoked! I just replaced the guts with USGI and you can tell a difference. Looking at the parts side by side will leave one wondering… the SAI trigger guard has a bent tab instead of a pin and the thing was already worn down to the metal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gotta love a Socom in walnut, wish the SAI Boyds stocks had the GI profile though.
OP pretty sure your bolt and op rod are current SAI not SA USGI, at least per indications in Lee Emerson"s book anyhow. Still sweet though.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I fit the wood handguard on and it's loose, really loose. I can rotate it around the barrel. Any fixes for this? Pretty bummed. The damn thing might as well be a cow bell it rattles so much.
As to the handguard.
You can try to build up the front lip of the handguard with epoxy.
Adding a little length to both ends that fit in the front band ears.
You can also try to roll in the ears of the front band. But you can damage the front band.
And if it works you would have to modify any other handguard to fit.

Nice looking Full wooden jacket Socom.FRG1

Glenn

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta love a Socom in walnut, wish the SAI Boyds stocks had the GI profile though.
OP pretty sure your bolt and op rod are current SAI not SA USGI, at least per indications in Lee Emerson"s book anyhow. Still sweet though.
I'll have to dig into Lee's book one of these days.

Thanks. I was surprised by what I thought was SA versus SAI. Them not being USGI makes more sense. HRA tg is still a bonus!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As to the handguard.
You can try to build up the front lip of the handguard with epoxy.
Adding a little length to both ends that fit in the front band ears.
You can also try to roll in the ears of the front band. But you can damage the front band.
And if it works you would have to modify any other handguard to fit.

Nice looking Full wooden jacket Socom.FRG1

Glenn
Thanks, GP3.

Have you rolled in the ears before? I'd think it'd be near impossible to remove the wood handguard without pulling off the gas block after rolling the ears.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have a SAI N.M. unitized gas cylinder that come with the ears rolled in a bit further than the standard front band.

The ears on this front band are pointed directly at each other.
Using a pair of heavy round nose pliers you can roll the ends up to a 30-40* angle.

My wood and fiberglass handguards come out fine once the clip is released from the barrel. I do have to shave the front corners of any handguard I use on my Socom.

If you are hesitant. Try building up the front of the wood handguard.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I put electrical tape around the end of my hand guard where it goes into the front band, too loose? Take another wrap, and fold it over inside the hand guard end, trim off any that sticks out from front band.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
She'll be purdy when your all done. Nice pics!

Check the fit of the Boyd's. Especially near the the Gas Cylinder. I'm doing the Boyd's thing right now with mine and found that it needs to be cleared a little bit. Also getting some contact between the Op rod and the fork on the front of the stock liner. Put some grease on the barrel/op rod&guide and check for contact. Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts