M14 Forum banner

Uncle Mikes Sling Swivel

1855 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  bd111
Just read the NRA service rifle rules above. I have an Uncle Mikes removable sling swivel on my M1A so I can attach a bi-pod. Does that disqualify that rifle for CMP or NRA service rifle matches? I didn't see anything in the NRA rules regarding the sling swivels. Have not read the CMP rules yet. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
767 Posts
Just read the NRA service rifle rules above. I have an Uncle Mikes removable sling swivel on my M1A so I can attach a bi-pod. Does that disqualify that rifle for CMP or NRA service rifle matches? I didn't see anything in the NRA rules regarding the sling swivels. Have not read the CMP rules yet. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
I don't think that it would be legal for SR in either NRA or CMP matches. At a local club match you might get away with it, but at a sanctioned 50 round or 80 round regional XTC if someone noticed you would get tossed into the Match Rifle scores. Since they were never part of a service rifle they would be verboten. It took 10 years after they were issued for the flat-topped AR receivers to become SR legal.

· Registered
8 Posts
There is no question that this additional "sling swivel" is an external modification and without doubt NOT allowed in either CMP or NRA service rifle matches .

· Registered
5,756 Posts
It's externally visible, ergo forbidden. What you can do that I think is OK under the rules is modify the stock on the inside, just behind the standard sling swivel, with a threaded backer glassed in to accept a screw-in UM swivel for when you want to use your bipod. Make a small wooden plug that press-fits into the hole flush with the bottom of the stock for when you have to be "legal."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.