M14 Forum banner

Unable to group shots

2000 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CHARLIED308
My daughter has a Bushmaster XM15-E2S with a 16'' pencil barrel.
She uses iron sights. The shots are all over the target at 100 yrds. 16'' apart.
Rear sight is far to the left side to get on paper. Dont think its her, I let her shoot my M-15A2 with 20'' barrel and she in the bull eye with a 3.5'' group with 9 shots. Tried different ammo , same thing. What should I be looking for, iIve heard the barrel nut being too tight will cause the rear sight to have to be moved to the left, could this cause it to shoot all over the target. Any help would be appreciated. By the way we are shooting mil surplus ammo.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Inquisitor
11,536 Posts
What grain of ammo and what twist rate?

· Registered
908 Posts
Sounds like the standard Bushmaster over-torqued barrel. This is a common problem with Bushmaster rifles.

End result - your front sight base is now canted to the side. If the rifle's still in warranty, contact them and make arrangements to send it back.

If not, see if there's someone familiar with fixing AR's in your area and have them properly set up your barrel.

HTH.

· Registered
7,202 Posts
Sounds like the standard Bushmaster over-torqued barrel. This is a common problem with Bushmaster rifles.

End result - your front sight base is now canted to the side. If the rifle's still in warranty, contact them and make arrangements to send it back.

If not, see if there's someone familiar with fixing AR's in your area and have them properly set up your barrel.

HTH.
This and even if it is out of warranty make them stand behind it and fix it.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
I take it this rifle has an A2 front sight base. How is it mounted? Is it pinned? Or does BM use set screws that allows you to adjust it? The groups could be a number of things, over torqued barrel nut possibly or just the grade of the barrel. These companies are not paying a lot for there barrels. I am not saying they are no good I am saying I have seen barrels that have had poor machining and given similar results on a garand. In order to get the bullets to center you need to move the front sight over to the left. In other words, if your rear sight is to the left, follow with the front in order to get the rear to the right. I am talking a real real small amount. That does not help you with the groups though.
Did you try shooting the rifle???

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its only a few months old, and would this cause it to print all over the target.
If its just a matter of looseing the barrel nut and torquing it back to spec. would it be better to have a gunsmith do it. Cheaper than UPS back to Bushmaster or am I wrong. What do you guys think?

· Inquisitor
11,536 Posts
Its only a few months old, and would this cause it to print all over the target.
If its just a matter of looseing the barrel nut and torquing it back to spec. would it be better to have a gunsmith do it. Cheaper than UPS back to Bushmaster or am I wrong. What do you guys think?
Depends on their warranty program. If they will pay for shipping both ways, use the warranty.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
I have corrected the index on more than a few Bushmaster rifles with this problem over the years. Usually the rifles shoot too far to the right with the windage adjusted all the way to the left. The people at Bushmaster have told me that 13 clicks of windage from center to sight a rifle is acceptable. I don't agree with them. The barrel index issue will not cause large groups, they will just be too far left or right. I have a lightweight 1:9 chromed lined barrel on one of my carbines and it prints 3" at 100 yards with 55g M193 ammunition without the use of a sling. If your rifle will not shoot 4" or less using the small rear sight aperture, there could be something wrong with the barrel.

Any mass produced rifle could have a one in a million bad barrel right off the assembly line. If you suspect the barrel is bad. Send it back and get Bushmaster to correct the problem under warranty. If they will not honor the warranty, find a good AR gunsmith and have them correct the problem. I would not pay Bushmaster to correct any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.