M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse the fact that I have owned a scout for several months, and still not taken It to the range to sight it in. An aggregious sin, I know.

I have just finished watching TonyBen's rear sight disassembly/reassembly/lubrication video on YouTube. Without having fired it yet, I don't know how many clicks it takes to get to my 200 yard zero. However, with the aperture bottomed out, my receiver-side index mark is around the 8 mark on the elevation knob. This makes it 38 clicks to get to to the 2 mark. This doesn't seem right. I deliberately did not disassemble the rear sight in my initial cleaning/lubrication (thanks again, TB), having not zeroed the rifle yet. My question is, "Where do I go from here?" Do I break the sight down, lubricate and put it back together with the same settings? Or is there a baseline number I should calibrate it to?

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
1. The rear sight is not calibrated at the factory. After zeroing your rifle, you loosen the screw and set the elevation knob for that specific range, then tighten the screw.

2. The tick marks on the rear sight equal 1 moa using M80 ball ammunition. Using any other ammo will not be a perfect match.

3. If shooting silhouette targets, you calibrate your rear sight for POA/POI. If shooting CMP style round targets, you calibrate the sight to be 3 moa high at any given range, allowing you to have a 6 o'clock POA and an X ring POI.

All that being said, 8-9 clicks will usually get you on paper at 100, while 11-12 clicks will work at 200. Remember to keep the windage at dead center, moving the front sight for the initial zero.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Set the windage in the center using the lines on the backend of sight base and receiver.

Run the elev all the way down, and the back UP 10 clicks.

Start at 25 yards with a full sized sheet of newspaper with an aiming spot in the center.

Adjust windage and elev as needed to hit near the aim point.
At 25 yards each wind/elev click is about 1/4 inch.
1/2 inch at 50 yards
1 inch at 100 yards.

Then move back to 50 yards, and then 100.

A distance setting on the elev knob can be adjusted for your rifle and ammo, but those settings are approximate. For precision, you need to 'count the clicks' at each distance for your ammo - and write them down!

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
147-155gr bullets moving 2700-2750fps will match up well with your elevation knobs yard marks.
i have seen M1A's take as few as 6 up from bottom for 200, so say 6 to 12 clicks up from bottom for 200. get it zeroed then loosen the flat head screw and turn the el. knob to zeroed yard mark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the feeling that I would need to atone for my sin before calibrating it. Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do about getting to the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts