M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Ultimak rail for my Scout is on its way from Brownells. I want the lower sight mount for my Leupold 2.5x IER scope.

Any tips, advice, etc. before I remove the Springfield forward mount or for mounting the Ultimak?

If I like the Ultimak and the rifle maintains its accuracy (smallest 5-shot group at 100 yards is 1.125" and I pulled one shot), is there any point to hanging on to the Springfield mount or should I sell it?

Please note that I'm NOT asking for offers now. It'll take a while before I'm confident the Ultimak is the best choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used a mini torch to heat the screws for the mounts on both of my SOCOM's. Come right out smooth and easy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Did you get your forward mount off? I'm going to be removing mine soon and have the same question about any tips for removing it. I'm assuming they loc tite it on?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Just remember to use blue Loctite on the srews for the Ultimak. It is a very sturdy mount(4 contact points) and well made. I had no problem taking off the Springfield scope mount, it just unscrewed. The instructions are simple and the unit is easy to mount.

Glenn

·
Registered
165 Posts
sirtirithon, the heat liquifies the Locktite to some degree and the screws loosen without having to use hardly any force and with no danger of buggering up anything...will save your bacon taking torx bolts out of Jeeps as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
sirtirithon, the heat liquifies the Locktite to some degree and the screws loosen without having to use hardly any force and with no danger of buggering up anything...will save your bacon taking torx bolts out of Jeeps as well.
Thanks for the info! I'm excited to see how my scout looks in a full USGI handguard. The scout mount has always bothered me.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
dude,,,,,the ultimak is WAY better quality than the crappy SAI scout mount your gun came with. you will be very happy. i didnt use the lok tite on mine and it works just fine. i have never lost zero.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts