M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I found an Aimpoint CompM4s for a great price and figured, what the hell, I'm not really out anything if it doesn't work. I had spent quite a bit of time looking online to see if anyone else had tried this, and apparently I'm the only one.

Here's to pioneering.

This is a comparison to my CompM2 in the standard mount. Pretty much the same height.

Trying to show the co-witness. If you can see, it's just a touch too low. It would take about 1/4" lower to be able to actually use the irons.

And my second issue I ran into is that the QRP mount hits the Ultimak rail. I was unable to fully tighten the mount, the sight sat slightly crooked because of the contact, and it left a ding in my Ultimak.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
As NoExpert says, the Micro T1 or H1 are the only true co-witness capable optics I've found. I've actually used the T1 on my SOCOM (and yes, you need the M8 rail for it to work).

· Registered
142 Posts
I had the aimpoint comp c3 2moa & the ultimak m8 rail on an older m1a bush rifle (18") that co witnessed with the 30mm ring that came with it. The red dot sat perfectly right on top of the front sight. Then i switched it to a leupold scout scope for more magnification. I did not try the aimpoint on my socom.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
The shorter barrel will make it more difficult to co-witness since the sight radius is shorter. I doubt if you will find any other combination that will provide a true co-witness on the SOCOM other than the M8 and the Micro.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
a 30mm or 1"" red dot scope with short mounts should work on the Ultimak M8.
Here is how I did it when I first got my Socom 16.

With this set up I was getting a 43% lower/57% upper split.
The scope is a 30mm Millett Zoom Dot.
Just another option to think about.

Glenn

· Registered
10,969 Posts
Nice option Glenn, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But I will say that the primary advantage of the M8/Micro combination is that the view is a 50/50 split which feels more versatile to me. I can move my eye within the optic evenly in all directions so there isn't any one spot that has more field of view than any other.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Nice option Glenn, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But I will say that the primary advantage of the M8/Micro combination is that the view is a 50/50 split which feels more versatile to me. I can move my eye within the optic evenly in all directions so there isn't any one spot that has more field of view than any other.
You are right about the M8/Micro combo. With the Socom factory front sight and a 1" diameter red dot scope should get you close to 50/50 split with the right mounts.
I need to check my old set up with the M79 front sight I have on now. The M79 blade is higher than the Socom factory front sight. Should get me closer to 50/50 with my Millett 30mm Zoom Dot sight.

Glenn

· Registered
10,969 Posts
I need to check my old set up with the M79 front sight I have on now. The M79 blade is higher than the Socom factory front sight. Should get me closer to 50/50 with my Millett 30mm Zoom Dot sight.

Glenn
Good point, I'll bet it does.

· In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,869 Posts
wait sight radius doesn't matter? *thinks hard*

ok i popped a blood vessel. Why would sight radius matter the dot, the rear aperture and the front post are on the same plane regardless of distance.
the only thing that changes is the size of the front post, and how much of it you see. the point will be in the same spot though.

I had a cowitness of my eotech 512 and troy sights on a steyr aug rail. thats almost pistol sight radius.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
Different sight radius will result in different front post height.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
same here Glenn....nice option, how come you didn't stick with it?

· Registered
1,206 Posts
You are right about the M8/Micro combo. With the Socom factory front sight and a 1" diameter red dot scope should get you close to 50/50 split with the right mounts.

Glenn
you're just irons n wood now?

· Registered
1,206 Posts
wait sight radius doesn't matter? *thinks hard*

ok i popped a blood vessel. Why would sight radius matter the dot, the rear aperture and the front post are on the same plane regardless of distance.
the only thing that changes is the size of the front post, and how much of it you see. the point will be in the same spot though.

I had a cowitness of my eotech 512 and troy sights on a steyr aug rail. thats almost pistol sight radius.
I think Rammac is referring to socom, scout and standard sight radius's so there would different front sights involved and you and the "perfect" co-witness may not be possible.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Different sight radius will result in different front post height.
Here is a visual reference for sight heights.

Standard, Scout, M79

Modified Socom, M79

By getting as close to 50/50 on cowitness helps with peripheral vision. For target shooting it is not that important. But for hunting, to me, it is very important I see as much as I can.

Glenn

· Registered
908 Posts
OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Really.

You're running the most reliable optic on the planet. Are you irons zeroed for the "just in case" scenario? If so, you're GTG.

Have fun with the 4s. I flipped a coin and went with the T-1 on a Larue QD mount. But I would've been equally happy with the 4s.

HTH, and enjoy.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
same here Glenn....nice option, how come you didn't stick with it?
I found less of a need for one after filing down the front sight blade. Then I purchased the walnut stock and handguard at my local gun show.

you're just irons n wood now?
Yes, for now. But I be trying a different configuration. Will more than likely re-install the M8 with a pepper laminated stock.

Glenn

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I found less of a need for one after filing down the front sight blade. Then I purchased the walnut stock and handguard at my local gun show.

Yes, for now. But I be trying a different configuration. Will more than likely re-install the M8 with a pepper laminated stock.

Glenn
what you really need is..............another socom...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.