M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted a U.S. Optics MST-100 on an LRB M25? The scope measures about 10x36mm. I am leaning toward 30mm steel Badger Ordnance rings with an inch insert, unsure of the proper height. Is there a way to retain the use of iron sights with the scope in place?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Uncertain about the USO scope, but with my Super Sniper 10x42 HD I use a cheek riser with medium height rings on my M25. That said, you might be better served by getting a mini scope-mounted red dot (Docter or such) for close range shooting. Would be too big a pain to remove a riser or lower it in order to use irons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure how to combine a mini scope-mounted red dot with an MST-100. With my JAE G2 stock, I can turn down the thumbwheel to get the iron sights in the line of sight with a proper cheek weld. I am getting a JAE G3 stock that combines a QD adjustable cheek rest with a thumbwheel to simplify and speed up this transition.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I haven't seen any rings that allow you to use the iron sights on an M25 rail.

As for the scope and ring height, it'll most likely be the rear sight that determines the height. Get the dimensions from USO and I might be able to help you out...

A better question, why would you want the MST-100 instead of an ST-10 with a 37mm objective? You're not building a replica of the M40A1...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MST-100 has a nominal 42mm objective that measures at a little over 45mm on the outermost diameter. I don't care much for replicas, but I do like a steel tube. I have a Schmidt & Bender PMII on my other LRB M25 and a U.S. Optics ST-10S meant to sit above the barrel of my K31/43. I am still undecided as to what to mount on a switch barrel .338 Lapua rifle that Roger Green is building for me on a new old stock Brevex Mauser double square bridge action. You can call me eccentric or tasteless, as you see fit.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I don't know about eccentric or tasteless, I'm just trying to make sense of it. Is it really made out of steel? The original's were, I don't know about the USO versions.

I'm pretty sure the problem will be the eyepiece and rear sight clearance. I'm also guessing the objective OD is more like 50mm+, they're 44mm objective has a 56.6mm OD and they're 37mm objective has a 47mm OD.

Another question, do they have any left? I heard they had a couple left back in May but not sure any are left now. E-mail Jeff or Jason at USO and get the correct dimensions on the eyepiece and objective. I'm also guessing you'll be running this on a 20MOA rail due to the 1" tube adjustment limitations?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am not sure how to combine a mini scope-mounted red dot with an MST-100. With my JAE G2 stock, I can turn down the thumbwheel to get the iron sights in the line of sight with a proper cheek weld. I am getting a JAE G3 stock that combines a QD adjustable cheek rest with a thumbwheel to simplify and speed up this transition.
Looks like it may not be an option for a scope with that profile/width.

Anyhow, this is what I plan to eventually attach to my build:
http://www.gggaz.com/b-comp-30mm-ring.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the MST-100 has a solid steel tube, sized as stated. I am starting out with a standard rail.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
What is 36mm? The eyepiece? Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty good with their SN and ST line but I have no experience with the MST-100. I think I've only talked to one person who owns one and it went on an M40A1 replica.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
On a standard LRB rail you're looking at around 1.1" high rings from rail to center. I think Badger Ordnance makes some 1.125" high rings. Without more measurements I can't get really precise, this is just based on what I've tried.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quite welcome. Take pics when you have it together, I'm really interested to see one of the MST's on an M25. I previously had an SN-3 1.8-10X44 on my M25 in a JAE stock and now have a SN-3 1.8-10X37 on my JAE in a Sage stock. The lowest I was able to get away with was 1.065" rings due to the rear sight. I then went to 1.189" high rings and then 1.185" high rings. With the 20MOA rail I went down to 1.02" high rings and clear the rear sight by 1.5mm. I could have gone with 1" high rings, but opted to try the ARC M3 rings instead of getting Badger Ordnance. Like I said, without measurements from your rifle I can't get precise, 1" may work, but 1.125" will work.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm just going to mount a humble Shepard Enterprise P-2 3-10x40 on my m25. Hoping this will work as an all purpose rifle. Nice to have your distance worked out rapidly. We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
At the current situation on the MST 100, you can sell it to someone building an A1 clone with a USMC return stock, buy another M25 and you may have some residual to put in a NXS Compact.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
At the current situation on the MST 100, you can sell it to someone building an A1 clone with a USMC return stock, buy another M25 and you may have some residual to put in a NXS Compact.....
Yah, but some of us pea brains LIKE the MST 100...except when having to rezero.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Mst 100

One quick question. An M25 in a JAE stock with a MST100 weights how much?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.