M14 Forum banner

U.S.M.C. M40A1 Parts….. Prices Going Up On These Too

3594 Views 35 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  TB
I’m not sure what the value is on a complete rifle like mine, but parts sure seem to get big $$$. Almost makes a guy want to part it out. Mine is a 6 digit (321,xxx) that was put together by GAP ten or so years ago, using my accumulated parts. I think it’s a real beauty. I’ll try to post some pics if anyone is interested is seeing them.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun
Automotive tire Camera accessory Material property Bumper Gas
Air gun Trigger Office supplies Gun barrel Wood
Bicycle part Trigger Air gun Shotgun Rim
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Publication
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
I’m not sure what the value is on a complete rifle like mine, but parts sure seem to get big $$$. Almost makes a guy want to part it out. Mine is a 6 digit (321,xxx) that was put together by GAP ten or so years ago, using my accumulated parts. I think it’s a real beauty. I’ll try to post some pics if anyone is interested is seeing them. View attachment 481074 View attachment 481075 View attachment 481076 View attachment 481077 View attachment 481078
Nice rifle! There's no point in pulling it apart, no one wants a used barrel and current production stock. If they were actual USMC M40A1 takeoff parts, then it would be a different story. The receiver is extremely close to the USMC 322xxx range and it's worth $1k+, but it would be worth a lot more if it was actually in the 221xxx, 224xxx and 322xxx ranges. Last year I picked up 2 Remington donor rifles in the 322xxx on gunbroker (about $1,500 each), so perfect receivers are still out there waiting to be found.

The scope was about $3k+ when it was new and they've retained their value, especially since the CMP is out of USMC Unertl scopes. The mount looks like a USO repro, did you get it with the scope? If it's a repro mount, it's worth about $500, maybe a little more if it's USO (real USMC Unertl mounts are now selling for about $4k, original A1 simrad caps are about $3k). There's a few ways to tell if a mount is legit USMC, the best/easiest way is to check the inside of the caps.

My advice is to leave the rifle as a complete build, since it's worth more than the sum of it's parts when separated. If you pull it apart you'll lose value on the barrel and stock, plus whatever you paid in gunsmithing fees. There's a lot of people who would love to buy it as a complete rifle, list it on gunbroker or the forums. Or take it to the range or out on a hunt! The enjoyment you'll get from using this rifle will always exceed it's monetary value, it's guaranteed will put a smile on your face every time you pull the trigger! You can never put a price on that.

· Registered
337 Posts
One thing I like about the modern day sniper rifles is the detachable magazine. Never did like internal magazines. It makes reloads take too long. I wonder why they gave the M-40 an internal magazine?
While it's not nearly as quick as swapping magazines, we were trained to "shoot 2, load 2" with our M40A3's (DD Ross bottom metal variation). Every time you fire 2 shots, push 2 rounds into the internal magazine while the bolt is to the rear. We got pretty fast at doing this, but situation will always dictate if you choose to use this method.

Hello, Well, Only my opinion, is.
A good shooter shouldn't need more than one round to get the job done. The other four rounds, are for the "just in case" or secondaries... but, I could be wrong.
3 words: "target rich environment" ;)

· Registered
1,001 Posts
It's a beautiful rifle, for sure.
But I have questions about its "authenticity."
Did the originals have protruding guard screws?
Didn't the originals have lower scope rings welded to the base? Wasn't the recoil lug "tacked" to the receiver?

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Did the originals have protruding guard screws?
Didn't the originals have lower scope rings welded to the base? Wasn't the recoil lug "tacked" to the receiver?
The gunsmith who built that at GAP is likely a former USMC 2112 who built real M40A1s. (I think Eric Reid is one of GAPs former 2112s who built M40A1s back in the day, but they might have other former 2112s as well). All the way down to the proper stamping on the vertical handle of the bolt, it appears to be built correctly. To answer the 3 questions:

1. Yes. The bottom metal and bolts are correct.
2. Sometimes, esp the early rifles. Technique varied from huge and ugly welds to rather small and subtle welds. I’ve seen originals at Quantico with no welds at all.
3. Only the original late 1970s/early 80s had recoil lugs tack-welded to the face of the receiver. The practice was very quickly discontinued. Why? The USMC 2112s always “trued” or re-surfaced the face of the receiver with each barrel change, so the tack welds were a problem, and discontinued very early in the M40A1 program. (And it was found the welds could slightly warp the receiver ring too…oops).

My replica was built by a 2112 at Quantico, same build process as GAP did on original poster’s rifle.
…as for price escalation regarding M40A1 replicas, as noted by USMCSGT0331, it mainly applies to the original USMC “return stocks” and original scope mounts. I used a repo scope mount, but my “return stock” (aka take-off stock) is probably worth 2x or 2.5x what I paid for it years ago. Of course I’d never sell this rifle…

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
“shooter86314”……. I’m not sure I understand what “authenticity” you are questioning??? As I said in my original post, “Mine is a 6 digit (321,xxx) that was put together by GAP…….” I don’t believe I’ve made any claims as to it being an original USMC M40. If anything in my post made it seem that way, I do apologize.
I’ll clarify things here. The rifle pictured in the original post is a CLONE that I had GAP build for me using a receiver from a .243 that I owned and parts that I had accumulated. I bought the scope and base directly from US Optics.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
shooter86314”……. I’m not sure I understand what “authenticity” you are questioning???
I can't speak for him, but based on his three questions, he probably meant "correctness" as opposed to "authenticity." I think word choice was sub-optimal regarding that sentence...

Fwiw, M40A1s were basically hand-made from roughly 1977 until 2001 or so, and based on numerous pictures that I took at Quantico of original M40A1 rifles over the years, there were some subtle differences/details on many of these rifles, and the build process changed slightly b/t the late 1970s vs the 1990s. His questions relate to some of the early build processes that were not used on later builds (ie, tack welding the recoil lug to receiver face) - at least that is my understanding. Here's a group pic I took back in 2016 of real USMC M40A1s. IMO, the original poster's rifle has been built by GAP to the same standard as these. (And of course these rifles will never be for sale to the general public. A few might be gifted over the years to retiring USMC officers etc, but that's about it.)
Plant Leaf Botany Grass Groundcover

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Random Guy: Correctness might be a better description. Thanks for your clarification.
Sure, and speaking of "correctness" and the variety of observed M40A1s at Quantico, I took this picture of a real M40A1 at Quantico in April 2018. It's an E-prefix with I recall a mid-2000 (or 2001?) date stamp on the barrel. So its a late build, and it sort-of bursts a few commonly held conceptions about what is a "correct" M40A1. First, it's stamped "PWS-P" instead of "RTE-P," it does not have any welds on its mount, and it has an issued US Optics MST-100 scope, not an original or rebuilt Unertl. (34xx serial range). I understand that only a handful of these USO scopes were made by US Optics as a replacements for unserviceable Unertls back in the 2000-01 era when they won the contract to service the USMC Unertls. I have no idea if it also has a US Optics scope mount or not. Shortly after this rifle was made, they were rebuilt into M40A3s.

In any case, the original poster's rifle is quite close to this one, aside from the serial number range and stamping on the barrel.
Grass Trigger Gas Air gun Motor vehicle

..and BTW, it also has a black buttpad instead of a brown one. A retired 2112 laughed about this, and said he or one of his colleagues in the sniper section accidentally ordered a batch of black buttpads back in the mid-1990s, but they needed them, so they used them. So the myth that only brown buttpads were used on M40A1s...is well, a myth.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Grass Motor vehicle

· Registered
58 Posts
Hello, Well, Only my opinion, is.
A good shooter shouldn't need more than one round to get the job done. The other four rounds, are for the "just in case" or secondaries... but, I could be wrong.
Most modern semi-auto rifles in sniper role will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long. Rather have that than a bolt gun when a patrol full of AK bad guys shows up.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Most modern semi-auto rifles in sniper role will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long. Rather have that than a bolt gun when a patrol full of AK bad guys shows up.
Hello, Hum
Well, excuse me. I thought we were talking about the original off the shelve Remington 700s, M40s/M40A1 type rifles built/modified in the late 60s early 70s, for use during the VietNam war, not the "modern" day type sniper rifles. But, I could be wrong. A lot has changed in 50 years...
Yet, you are correct. About a bolt action rifle not being the ideal choice for, use in a CQ fire fight... I'll give you that. They were made for the longer distance shot...

· Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I agree with most everyone here. Keep it together and if you really want to sell it go ahead. You'll get your money's worth and someone will be happy to have it. Easier for us that want one to just buy a finished one. Just need the cash. I know when I put my rifle together which was in no way a clone it still took awhile just to find the parts I wanted. In the end it cost close to what a clone would be but I digress. Lol.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.