M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how are you going to haul self, wife, and 2 kids, plus food, gear, etc, in an SUV, guys? You won't have enough food for more than a month or so, and the game and livestock will all be killed/eaten within a month.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think that number is too high. I think you can get buy with under 1 pound. If you have Survival Tabs, you can do quite well on 1/4 pound a day.

A good argument for NOT trying to live in the wild. Anyone with a brain is bugging out TO some place where they have pre positioned supplies. Preferably a ranch or farm with family and friends. And, they are bugging out early. Better a lot of false alarms than one missed warning.

It's all about balanced. Being prepare doesn't mean you stop living your life. You just try to improve your odds. Over prepping is as stupid as under prepping.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I should generally advise against planning to live off other people's livestock. This is bound to annoy the countryfolk, and to your detriment.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i don't think you should be considering food by weight alone, the amount of calories and protien per day is far more important. your biggest weight problem comes from water. being in the n.e. i am not in a water poor location as many are, therefore, most of my stores are drypacked rice, beans, flour and freeze dried canned goods.

not everyone is going to run out and kill livestock or head to the "hills" in a suv. in a true shtf condition most urban dwellers will die in place waiting for the gov to give them more handouts or kill each other for the last scraps of food remaining. only the younger more agressive ones who have no social values will be trying to forage off of helpless people if they survive those type of tactics in the city.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
so how are you going to haul self, wife, and 2 kids, plus food, gear, etc, in an SUV, guys? You won't have enough food for more than a month or so, and the game and livestock will all be killed/eaten within a month.

Exist, I'm assuming you actually have some place in mind that you are heading to? Just heading out with a unknown destination is a plan destined to fail. If you do have a planned place, the majority of your stuff should already be there or close by. That way all you need is to pack enough to get from Point A to B, plus a small reserve. dozier

PS: Having a SUV loaded down with supplies will be a target on the road.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
The game laws foretell the truth of this post

It's easy to see desperate folks "fishing" with nets at best and dynamite at worst. Most of our current seemingly super restrictive game laws were put in place during the depression to combat over hunting and fishing.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Food isn't calcuated by weight, its about calories. How many calories are you going to need per day to replace what you are going to burn daily?

HH

·
Registered
998 Posts
Eating off the neighbors;

I suppose three lbs of food per person per day is not too far out of line given normal conditions, but we can live off much less. "Bugging out" and planning to eat would take considerable planning. Many of the threads under "Broken Arrow" are in regard to bugging out, and I suppose if you lived in an urban setting that is a real consideration. Maybe the only consideration.

I live in a rural setting and would only consider a bug out in the event of a nuclear disaster or attack. Natural disaster might cause a temporary bug out but, those are what I consider a temporary problem. Sure things would change but I could come back to my home.

As far as taking things from people. I think it would be in everyone's best interest to work together. That's what neighbors are for. Planning to take what you need from those who have it has fatal flaws I think.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
As far as taking things from people. I think it would be in everyone's best interest to work together. That's what neighbors are for. Planning to take what you need from those who have it has fatal flaws I think.
Amen to that. Morality aside: as to suggestions about cattle theft and cannibalism, they are also impractical. People who talk like that have the idea that folks are just the sheep they appear to be in good times, but personally I can't think of a more dangerous post-disaster way to make a living than to go after my felllow man for food. You'd certainly be among the first to go.

EDIT: I mean of course as long as my fellow man has been allowed to keep and bear arms.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't need to carry any food. I grew up in the everglades and I can gurantee you this 99.9% of the folks in this country won't venture on foot more then 100 feet into the glades. I have lived in the glades for extended periods of time on foot and lived like a king. More food and water then you could ever need.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
This is the prime reason why I would not bug out and take to "them thar hills"

I have shelter, a garden, food storage, and friendly neighbors that would be more of an asset than a nuisance.

We also have some local farms in our town as well.

The only reason to bug out is if a nuclear strike, natural disaster making area uninhabitable, or some sort of toxic spill.

The rest of the scenarios out there are better to be handled by communities coming together and helping each other out. It won't be a "kumbaya" society, but it will be atleast survivable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.