M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the bit of research on the forum I have been able to do, it sounds like most people recommend the CMI mags for function at somewhere like 100% of the time. It sounded to me like the general consensus on the Type 57 mags from Taiwan (the blued ones) was also good. Since I need to buy quite a few, I would like to hear opinions on the functioning of the Type 57s. Has anyone had bad experiences, or do these function as well as the CMI's? From my research the price difference is at %40 as the Type 57's are about $15, while the CMI's are about $25.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Please, Please don't fall for the Advertisement of T 57 Mags, they are NOT around anymore, there have not been any in about 18 Years, buy CMI Mags and You'll have no Worries!SOAPBOX1
PS Did I mention that I HATE Aftermarket Mags more than I do Politicians and Bureaucrats!ICONWINK
Left Aftermarket Fake, Right T 57

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Long before I Got my 1st M14 clone I started gathering Stuff Ammo, Parts, Mags and so fourth
I have many USGI and CMI mags I feel they work every bit as Good if not Better
in other words Listen to Trung Si

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Every once in a while somebody finds a batch/box of the T-57s sitting in the back of the warehouse. Ammoman reportedly had some for sale a couple of years ago. I didn't purchase any, but they seemed to be the real deal. You can verify that they are T-57s on Differents site. If you can get them for $15, that is not a bad deal. Trungsi is right though, that these have not been available for some time now. dozier

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ammoman

This is indeed ammoman, and my prior experiences with the store are good. The description of these mags is:

"BLUED MAGAZINES
M-14 MAGAZINES 20 ROUND MAGS
MADE IN TAIWAN TYPE 57 MAGS

YOU CANNOT TELL THESE FROM USGI MAGS

BRAND NEW STURDY STEEL CONSTRUCTION
THEY WORK AND LOOK GREAT"

Has anyone purchased Type 57 mags from ammoman in the past and can vouch for them being T57 or not?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics online

the pics on ammoman at least showed blued mags, not parkerized like the one in the left of Trung Si's post, since I can't see many of the other details its a bit unclear about the welds for example.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Several years ago, Midway was selling what they called "T57" mags which were blued and easily distinguished from CMI and USGI mags. I bought 6 or 7 @ $12 each before I knew what they were not. They were not likely "T57s" but some kind of aftermarket mag. However, they did work. Maybe I was lucky, I don't know. I use 'em for range mags. The take-home message is if you buy anything other than CMI or USGI mags you're on your own. Yes they cost a bit more, but none of those have ever failed to function at a match. For me anyway.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I got some blued/black "Type 57" mags from a member here. He acknowledged he wasn't sure if they were genuine or not, but I was young and reckless. I suspect they are fakes. They are the only mags that have ever given me trouble (very infrequent jams, but they do occur on occasion). If you are not absolutely sure the "T57" mags you're buying are indeed the genuine article, I advise you to spend the extra dough and get CMIs (or USGI from a reputable member here).

·
Banned
951 Posts
T57 repops

I bought 25 from a old gun shop in waldorf md 4 years ago...9.00 a mag. Blued, 12 spot weld fwd spine, perfect fwd spine block placement, same sheetmetal thinkness, fired 4 of them in my norinco and SA m1a's perfect,...100 rds fired in fa in a friends m14...not 1 trouble. made in Tiawian for their m14's. Just bought a CMI, not tested but it too looks perfect like usgi's. DI5P_GUSAF2USAF1

·
Registered
475 Posts
Please, Please don't fall for the Advertisement of T 57 Mags, they are NOT around anymore, there have not been any in about 18 Years, buy CMI Mags and You'll have no Worries!SOAPBOX1
PS Did I mention that I HATE Aftermarket Mags more than I do Politicians and Bureaucrats!ICONWINK
Left Aftermarket Fake, Right T 57
I hate aftermarket mags more than I hate the last season of MASH.

·
Banned
951 Posts
T57 mag a good value

Have you tested them...or react to here say. Look If im going up against something that might shoot back Ill use a GI mag every time...price...who cares how expensive it is...whats your life worth. CMI's seem fine, but the "T57's" that are blued are exc...who knows the ones I bought may be from the 1990's release.USAF2

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is indeed ammoman, and my prior experiences with the store are good. The description of these mags is:

"BLUED MAGAZINES

Has anyone purchased Type 57 mags from ammoman in the past and can vouch for them being T57 or not?

There are three lies in the very ad you posted. The first is that these are manufactured in Taiwan, which is unproven (most likely VietNam), the second is that they are T57 mags, which they are not. The third is that "you cannot tell these from USGI mags". Maybe some can't tell, but anyone with access to Different's mag ID (stickied above) or a passing knowledge of USGI mags can in fact tell the difference.

Eric/Marty/the ammoman is a liar and a scoundrel of the highest order. There's a reason he, as a paid sponsor no less, has been kicked off of every firearms forum on the net.

Might these mags function somewhat decently? From all reports most do, but some don't. However, as a matter of principle, I don't purchase ANYTHING from ANYONE who feels the need to lie to me, the customer.

To each his own.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

"BLUED MAGAZINES

I can't define BS but I know what is is when I Hear it or Read it (like in this Case)
I have been Here on this Board since It's Inception and on the Old Battle Rifles before that and I have heard just about every BS Story about the Origin of advertised M14 After Market Mags and this is just an other One!LOL1

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
What we have here may be "type," type 57 mags. I bought a bunch of them from Midway when they blew them out and every one I have works without problem and I use them a lot on the range. At the time the price difference with CMI was quite a bit but CMI's have come down. I have no problem with the TT57's for practice but I keep CMI's in my bag and the rifles......just because!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update on ammoman "Type 57" mags

Well it looks like I missed quite a lot of feedback. I especially would have like to have the feedback on ammoman as a supplier.

Having missed the feedback, I purchased some of these mags. I used Different's guide and can say that these indeed are not Type 57 mags. Some of the issues are:

1. Mag springs have machine/scrape marks on the sides
2. Mag springs do not hang perpindicular to follower
3. Number of spot welds on the face are 9 + 1
4. Size of spot welds are not 3/16"
5. Floorplate is not heat treated (bendable by hand)
6. I can say the follower is also a bit different than the CMI follower, not a lot, but I would guess it doesn't take a lot.

On a side note, the mag does take 20 rounds. At this point, I will return the mags as they are not as advertised, and spend the extra money and buy new CMI's. These mags come in a clear plastic bag, are dark coated, I wouldn't say blued, but a very dark phosphate and have a light coating of oil. Thanks to everyone for the input!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The problem with mis-representing stuff is not the sellers, it is the buyers who find out they were taken advantage of and do nothing but keep the items.

A buyer who purchases an "original" item and then finds out it is a fake should return the item and contact the seller about truth in advertising.

Sellers will continue to mis-represent fake items because it encourages many to purchase them. As stated in the past, which description will convince these guys to purchase:

Original US GI (or Type 57) magazines, new in wrap....

OR

Our Brand of newly made magazines imported from......

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hear, hear, Bill!!! Send 'em back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts