M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I was finally able to locally acquire a NOS Barnett/Douglas USMC heavy profile match barrel, and thought I would offer some pics comparing it to a similar but medium weight Barnett/Douglass USMC marked barrel that I got on a 1990 era SAI last August. Both have the original blued finish as customary of the Barnett/Douglas barrels of the day.

Top barrel is the heavy profile, dated 1995
Bottom is the medium profile, dated 1990

Pic of markings (added some white chalk pen to assist in legibility) FWIW, one can see the USMC must have specified very long slots/inlets for the handguard clip. Not sure why.

Heavy: "4GR 10 308 WIN 6 95"
"USMC SPEC REV 1 LW" (I suspect LW were the initials of the person who machined the barrel for Gene Barnett/The Barrel Barn)

Medium: "USMC 4 GR 1 12 7 62 MM 7 90" (date was "3 90" or overstamped with "7 90")
This barrel is gently used (TE=2, MW=1) and it is not stamped "RTE-P", so it was never mounted on a USMC team rifle, but was likely a spare barrel.

I have heard that the "USMC SPEC REV 1" was due to Gene Barnett machining the gas cylinder 'shoulder' back about 0.010" so that shims would not be required, but I can't tell with my calipers if that is the case. I will say that all USMC match barrels I have seen are 1:12 twist, but this one appears to be 1:10 twist, so maybe that was the "REV 1" notation? That's my best guess. (Barnett also reportedly made a very small number of 1:13 twist barrels for the USMC, and I think one forum member has one of those rare barrels).

Front profile comparison (there is a small "X" on the heavy profile barrel on right side, just behind where the gas port would be drilled):

The heavy profile has never been mounted, its still short chambered, and the gas port has not been drilled (that was apparently done after gas cylinder was test fitted):

I actually tried to buy this NOS heavy profile barrel from a retired guy back in the summer of 2017, to no avail, but after some gentle persuasion, I finally got it this month. So, it only took me 18 months to get it....its a keeper, but I might trade or sell the medium weight USMC marked barrel since I need only one replica of a USMC team rifle.

Now, I obviously need to find a take-off USMC forest camo M14 stock like one of these, so I can build a rear lugged match rifle replica worthy of this 1995 USMC match barrel...

...I showed a retired Marine this picture, and he recalls the match M14 named "Thumper" from the 1990s. He couldn't remember the shooter's name, but recalled that he named his favorite match rifles.

FWIW, A retired USMC MOS 2112 told me they had 132 Match M14s in the late 1980/early 1990s, and in their budget they had enough to buy 50 M14 match barrels per year from Gene Barnett (which at the time I think the TN-based company was called 'The Barrel Barn'). According to this retired precision armor, they replaced the worn-out barrels every "1.5 to 2 seasons, but never changed the barrels in the middle of the shooting season, only after the (Camp Perry) National's were over." I think it depended on when accuracy begin to drop off. He also said when built, the rifles were tested with various types of ammo for the "short line" and longer ranges, and categorized/labeled as such based on how they performed with different ammo types, i.e., "Red box" Federal match ammo, M852, M118, etc. I thought that was interesting bit of history.

Anyhow just an fyi for anyone interested on these old match barrels.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Excellent post Brother Random Guy: I was thinking that if the gummint would release those M-14 's for sale, you know with all the legal permission and crap, those (5) M-14's would go at least $150,000.

Jarhead

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jarhead, you are correct that a transferable Class III USMC match M14 would bring big bucks from serious collectors, but that will likely never happen. (FWIW, CMP has it its warehouse approximately 1,000 honest-to-goodness National Match M14 rifles that it can not sell, even though the selector lugs are welded-up...they are still considered nontransferable select fire weapons.)

Speaking of collectors, while I am a small-time collector of U.S. military rifles, and I have a special interest in USMC weapons, I was never a Marine. I have worked with, and for, many former Marines over the past decade or so, and I am friends with several former Marines given our mutual interest in competitive shooting events at Quantico, but I don't want to give the impression that I was a former Marine. I have learned much over the years from current and former MOS 8541s and 2112s, as well as other USMC personnel, but my service is in a very different area.

Anyhow, of all the museums I have visited, this one is probably my favorite: https://m14forum.com/marines/468790-usmc-museum-visit-pics-quantico-sept-2018-a.html Highly recommended for anyone remotely interested in the first 200 years of Marine Corps history.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I got two used Barnettes on my heavy rifles. The first is older.. mid 80's marked USMC and the op rod guide is welded to the barrel like a tail...does not go over the barrel. Shoots tight touching holes at the 50 yrd.

The other heavy is newer and has the one large op rod guide..I got it w/ about 1K rounds thru it...also tight shooter.

I have another Barnette heavy bull w/ short -chamber NOS...got it from Ebay many years before the site went anti gun. I got it in a lot of barrels USGI ones...many years ago. 2 were almost NOS SAK barrels, Win, SA. I only own one TRW barrel almost new. They all gauge low on a 30 cal USGI barrel wear gage. This gage I am proud to have.

I love Barnette barrels. But I have heard that a lot of the unmarked heavy barrels out there are made by Wilson. Is there truth to this?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have some nice barrels.

I love Barnette barrels. But I have heard that a lot of the unmarked heavy barrels out there are made by Wilson. Is there truth to this?
Yes, Springfield Armory Inc has historically used Douglas barrel blanks for their SuperMatch M1As. All the examples i have seen are unmarked. In contrast, Gene Barnett seems to have always marked his barrels with a date (month and 2 digit year) and various other pieces of info like twist, # of groves, etc.

One can tell the difference b/t the SAI and Barnett heavy barrels by their machining when they "step down" at the front on the handguard just before the gas cylinder. I may have a picture somewhere that shows that SAI machines them with a "2 part" step down process, and Barnett did it in a single step. Hard to describe but easy to see once you know what to look for.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a Match M1Garand with a barrel that has "4GR" on it. I was told on another forum that they believe it is a Barnett/Douglas Barrel. It was built by DGR.

Opinions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts