M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched here quite a bit, and haven't been able to find an answer to these questions. I have a Springfield Scout. First is that my gas piston when pushed all the way to the front of the rifle sticks out of the cylinder about 1/8", is that normal, or do something to address. Second question is with the muzzle break off, it looks like the barrel is sleeved. Is that hard chrome lining, or what? Thanks for any info on this.
CJ

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
I've searched here quite a bit, and haven't been able to find an answer to these questions. I have a Springfield Scout. First is that my gas piston when pushed all the way to the front of the rifle sticks out of the cylinder about 1/8", is that normal, or do something to address. Second question is with the muzzle break off, it looks like the barrel is sleeved. Is that hard chrome lining, or what? Thanks for any info on this.
CJ
Lock the bolt back so the oprod is not forward. The piston should drop all the way into the cylinder and stick out the rear of the cylinder. Easier to see if it's not in the stock. If it's not falling through, you don't have the flat side of the piston aligned to the flat side in the cylinder.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Hello, and welcome!

I cannot help you with your questions but my dad lives up in Roseburg!

Jeff

Reactions: CrgJhnsn

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
my gas piston when pushed all the way to the front of the rifle sticks out of the cylinder about 1/8", is that normal, or do something to address.
----------------------
edit:
Removed earlier info, because it probably didn't apply to your question.
I'm not sure of how much clearance between the front of the oprod and the rear of the gas cylinder is needed.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lock the bolt back so the oprod is not forward. The piston should drop all the way into the cylinder and stick out the rear of the cylinder. Easier to see if it's not in the stock. If it's not falling through, you don't have the flat side of the piston aligned to the flat side in the cylinder.
I probably didn't explain things well. When the op rod is back the piston does drop all the way back. It's when it's going forward the tail of the piston sticks out past the rear of the cylinder about an 1/8". I probably should have taken a picture to make what I was asking clearer. Thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida.

I can not speak about what you are seeing with the barrel except that SAI does not "sleeve" barrels. You may just be seeing either the machining marks on the threaded end or the polished bore. I have not had the muzzle brake off of my Scout. I do not think SAI chrome lines their barrels.

Is that a replacement barrel or original to the Scout?

As far as the gas piston sticking out of the rear of the gas cylinder as you described, yes the tail end of mine sticks out the same amount.

HTH.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome aboard from Florida.

I can not speak about what you are seeing with the barrel except that SAI does not "sleeve" barrels. You may just be seeing either the machining marks on the threaded end or the polished bore. I have not had the muzzle brake off of my Scout. I do not think SAI chrome lines their barrels.

Is that a replacement barrel or original to the Scout?

As far as the gas piston sticking out of the rear of the gas cylinder as you described, yes the tail end of mine sticks out the same amount.

HTH.
It's the original barrel. I have a picture I'll attatch.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
I probably didn't explain things well. When the op rod is back the piston does drop all the way back. It's when it's going forward the tail of the piston sticks out past the rear of the cylinder about an 1/8". I probably should have taken a picture to make what I was asking clearer. Thanks for the input though!
Can't say I ever bothered to look at far it stick out. I always have the bolt back in the cleaning process so the piston is never forward when I remove the gas cylinder plug, as well as when I
install it back

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
The piston stem is supposed to stick out of the tail of the gas cylinder. The operating rod strikes the piston, which strikes the gas plug. Both are hardened to accept the blows.

If the piston didn't stick out, the operating rod would strike the gas cylinder tail, probably damaging it. Some people shorten the piston stem to increase dwell time, but is still needs to stick out from the gas cylinder.

SAI factory barrels are not chrome lined. I suspect the "silver" you see is the finish that was removed during crowning of the muzzle. The chambers also tend to appear a bright silver, from cutting and polishing. Chrome usually has a dull "matte" appearance.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Like this?

As designed.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,725 Posts
I suggest screwing in the gas plug. It prevents the piston from protruding and may have some bearing on how the rifle functions...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.