M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions (Update: questions answered--THANKS!!!)

I have two questions for you guys:

1) Is removal of the gas plug , gas cylinder lock, gas cylinder & front band the only safe way to remove the handguard? It seems you should be able to remove the clip if you were careful and just lift the handguard out.

2) I have a SA 3rd Gen mount attached to one of my rifles. The instructions that came with the mount stated once you have it mounted to one rifle, that's it.....you can't mount it to another rifle:

Your scope mount is now fully seated and fitted to this receiver and will not fit any other receivers.

That seems a little strange to me. Especially since I see them for sale all the time on various boards. What would lead SA to make that kind of statement? More sales for SA for their mounts???? Or is it really only going to fit that receiver? That makes no sense to me at all.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
The handguard can be removed without disassembling the gas system. Field strip the rifle by removing the trigger unit and stock. Remove the oprod and then using either clip pliers or a small punch, pry the handguard clip away from the barrel. The handguard should then snap off the barrel.

If using only a small punch on one side, insert it in the hole on the right side of the clip, when looking at the bottom of the barrel.

I cannot answer your question about the scope mount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't comment on the first, as I've never taken mine apart and it's been 35 years since I took a real M-14 apart. On the second question however, it could be that many have never, like myself, installed their's. As far as installing a used one on another rifle, well just look at the tolerances involved and the method of installation. Assuming the unit has a 5" bearing surface(I have no way to determine the actual dimension), which is kind of a standard tolerance on NEW machined parts, at 100 yards, if all else was perfact, your mount could point off 31/2". Now couple that with the fact that your clip slot has the potential to vary (substantially)in width and perpendicularity than the previous owner's and now you start to get the idea. In effect, your clip slot would have to have "stock-on" evrywhere from the previous installation and even then you'd have to true up either the receiver to the mount or vice versa. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find someone who has mounted a used one, successfully on theirs, but given the difficulty of installing a new one on a rifle properly, it's problematic.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The instructions I got with my scope SA was to chuck up the receiver in a vise and hit the side of the mount with mallet mating the semi hard alloy mount to the receiver. Taking the mount off will reveal a foot print on the mount. Damn is this crude or what? I read what I just typed.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Yup , the soft aluminum of the mount will take a set against the hardened steel of the receiver that may or may not mesh with another receiver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I was able to get the handguard off with no problems and NO broken parts!

I still am usure about the scope mount. I really want to dismount it and put it on my loaded M1A. It is setting on my scout right now and I really want to buy another EOTech to forward mount on the scout. When that gets bought, I would like to put the mount/scope I have on the scout now and swap it to the other rifle.

What I don't want to do is possibly render the mount unusable on either rifle if I dismount it. I didn't realize the mount was aluminum and that it conforms so closely to the side of the receiver. The instructions do call for a whack on the clip guide and on the mounting screws on the receiver to get it seated initially (SA calls it a tap), so I imagine it would require the same to dismount it.

Has anyone out there had a SA 3rd Gen mount and removed it? With all the "tapping" going on with the rubber mallet, I'm beginning to wonder if the receiver is going to look the same as before the mount went on.

I guess I may have to go with plan "B" and buy an ARMS #18 with the #22 throw mount and rings, but I really didn't want to spend that amount right now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I take mine off all the time, as I rarely use it. If I remember correctly, you don't just whack the screws, but the mount itself, to seat it fully into the groove on the side of the receiver. This causes the aluminum of the mount to form to the receiver, so it most likely will not mate up with another receiver the same as with the first one. FWIW, I think the SA Inc mounts are pretty much a POS any way, so you might as well invest in a good quality mount, like a Smith Ent mount, if you plan on using it for more than one rifle. My SA Inc mount is ok for casual range use, but the POI shifts noticably as the rifle heats up, as the aluminum mount and steel receiver heat at different rates.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
A couple guys asked me to install an aluminum mount and I refused.
To much to go wrong.

One good thing about steel mounts like the ARMS or Smith, you can move them around without problems, like expensive furniture in the house. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.