M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One is a 1903 .38 ACP and that's findable on-line, in Bluebook, etc.

The other is a Model I1462NJSP (under the box bar code it's NJSP0266, described as New Jersey State Police 38 Special 6" Barrel, Blue Finish. It was won as a Colt donated prize at a shooting event in 2000. My recollection was that I also got a fitted wood presentation case but that wasn't in the safe with it, so... not sure where it got off to. I seem to recall that they were possibly initially intended as retirement presentos and this was one Colt used as a PR spiff?

Here's an image from an old listing (not mine) that I found on a quick search. Found another with additional highlighted engraving but this one is simply plain remarkably dark blue.

http://www.empirearms.com/NJSP0277.jpg

Not sure where to start looking for info. Any ideas to start for doing due diligence, so to speak?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Me too.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I'll take both at half what the other two guys are offering!

Wow, this is Fun!

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: brianns

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'll drop them in the mail tomorrow. Actually, going on vacation soon and haven't even got pics, etc.. Just starting to try to find reasonable ideas to look for pricing info. There are a couple of LGSs near me that advertise they'll appraise, etc., but not sure on their reputations, if any. The old auto, one wants to see but we looked at the Blue Book while in signing petitions, California shooters will appreciate, but didn't have it along to estimate blueing percentages, condition, etc.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Please notice I didn't ask "how much"...

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
GunsAmerica.com
Gunbroker.com

Personally I'd love a Colt 1902 Sport long slide. To me they are just the coolest looking gun. Kind of a simple steampunk look. But I'm not going to pay thou$and$ for a nice one or >$1,500 for a rust pitted junk drawer piece.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the Blue Book was a really wide range on the 1903. Still, it's going to take an interested buyer, not just historic pricing, etc. Vacation looms. Unfortunately, a handgun or two I'm looking at may fall of the Ca. list this new year. We'll just have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The other is a Model I1462NJSP (under the box bar code it's NJSP0266, described as New Jersey State Police 38 Special 6" Barrel, Blue Finish. It was won as a Colt donated prize at a shooting event in 2000. My recollection was that I also got a fitted wood presentation case but that wasn't in the safe with it, so... not sure where it got off to. I seem to recall that they were possibly initially intended as retirement presentos and this was one Colt used as a PR spiff?

Here's an image from an old listing (not mine) that I found on a quick search. Found another with additional highlighted engraving but this one is simply plain remarkably dark blue.

http://www.empirearms.com/NJSP0277.jpg
The Army Special was the precursor of the Police Positive revolver, IIRC. Colt stopped making them in the 1920s. I have one in .32-20 that was in NRA 'trotline sinker' condition when I got it. They're neat old guns, especially in the condition that you describe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not really an Army Special although they are marked that way, oddly enough.. These are as far as I know (were) new production from the custom shop. I believe it's a Python frame with old style barrel and grips. I'll share some pics after my vacation because they are both kind of interesting items.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.