M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently ordered some spare parts from brownells, and put in for 2 recoil springs (i opted for the springfield ones since that is what i own although it shouldn't make a difference). Upon receipt of the package i noticed that the two springs (with the same brownells part number) were drastically different.

One is somewhat gold (kind of a dirty brass shade) and measures 15.5" in length

the other spring is a lighter silver color and measured 16.3" in length

the both have an inside diameter of about 0.34" and fit onto my guide rod, my question is this: Do you think brownells just sent me one from springfield and another from Wolff or FA, or is Springfield known to have two different materials they have used to produce springs?

This is just a question of curiosity since i think they will both function (don't know until i test), and i won't be going through the hassle of returning a $6 part. hell if one is wolff or FA i saved a dollar or two.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Both may work but the 16.3" spring may be too long. The dirty brass colored spring is probably an original GI spring and the other commercial.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe you're right in that regard as to commercial and USGI, and i think the 16.3 will compress to a little shorter if it is in the rifle for a little bit. It appears to be the same material as the stock one SA had in the rifle which is just under 5.9" now on my fairly new (bought in december) loaded so it should work fine and seems to compress easier than the USGI length spring.

For future buyers from brownell's getting springfield m1a op rod springs beware, an order of two exact parts yielded two different spring that believe will both serve their intended purpose. In reality i have loved the few purchases i have had from brownell's, they get me the items i order in a very timely fashion and i would recommend them to anyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts