M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Read Only
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is the spacer block required for reliable feeding.
2. I have heard that the legs on en bloc clips need to separated a bit because of taper of .308 vs 30-06 rounds. Myth or not?

My rebarrel to .308 is due home this week.

Thanks.

Registered
1. Is the spacer block required for reliable feeding.
2. I have heard that the legs on en bloc clips need to separated a bit because of taper of .308 vs 30-06 rounds. Myth or not?

My rebarrel to .308 is due home this week.

Thanks.
1. Some people say yes, some say no. I have never had a feed problem. Both my Garands are 7.62. I generally use new or good condition en-blocs.
2. That one I've never heard. I can't imagine trying to spread out an enbloc. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: 108868

Registered
Some say the primary reason for the spacer is to keep the shorter round from jumping forward during recoil, but, just as many say it's to keep from inserting 30.06, I suppose it serves both functions but I've never had a problem without one. I've heard of spreading or modify a clip for .308, think I've heard of en blocks specifically made for 7.62, but again I haven't run into a problem. I have a selection of en blocks and just separate the ones that feed reliably from those that are a bit cranky.

Registered
American Rifleman December 1965 issue " M1 RIFLE CONVERSIONS TO 7.62 MM NATO" answers your questions. Personally I use the spacer blocks but do not spread the enbloc clips.

Registered
I have had no problems without a spacer. Always have used FMJ or HPBT bullets - with cartridge OAL ~2.83 inch.
Have never needed to do any bending or alteration to enbloc. I slide the last cartridge into the enbloc by pushing it rearward into the clip - NOT by trying snap it lengthwise alongside the others.
Only functional change has been to slightly shorten the ejector spring to prevent cases thrown backwards into my head.

Jay

Registered
Been shooting my 308 M1 with out a block and even 110gn M1 carbine bullets make the jump.

as far as clips go. I find and forceful bending does little in way of function better.
I do how ever use the same 8 clips for 308

Registered
I thought that the cartridges might slip during recoil too when I started shooting my .308 Garand, but they have not...at least not during the first 1710 tries. I don't see any harm in the spacer however.

I don't bend my enblocs, but I do have a set for match use selected from many dozens for smooth feeding. I buffed the feed lips bright and rounded sharp corners.

Registered
I have had no problems without a spacer. Always have used FMJ or HPBT bullets - with cartridge OAL ~2.83 inch.
Have never needed to do any bending or alteration to enbloc. I slide the last cartridge into the enbloc by pushing it rearward into the clip - NOT by trying snap it lengthwise alongside the others.
Only functional change has been to slightly shorten the ejector spring to prevent cases thrown backwards into my head.

Jay
That ejection into the head is no joke. 42 gr of Varget and a 175 and my forehead looks like I went a round with Mike Tyson ( alight exaggeration)

Registered
Both cases have the same head diameter of 0.473 inch.

The .30-06 case has a taper of 0.0165 inch per inch, the .308 Win has a taper of 0.012 inch per inch.

The difference in diamter of the two cases at the end of the clip is 0.009 inch.

The tolerance on the front width of the clip is +/-0.020 inch.

Registered
Somewhere I have a pictorial of what clip fits what ammo base. If I can find it I'll post it.
My match rifle that I had Shuff build my M1D with is 7.62 & I only use JMO clips for it.
There is a particular combo of clip type, cartridge rim style & mfg for this.

Read Only
Discussion Starter #15
American Rifleman December 1965 issue " M1 RIFLE CONVERSIONS TO 7.62 MM NATO" answers your questions. Personally I use the spacer blocks but do not spread the enbloc clips.
Where did you come across a 1965 issue? Local library?

Registered
Doug I started collecting articles from gun magazines on weapons I liked as a kid back in 1960s.
I have a large collection of articles in binders on M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Johnson Rifle, 03/03A3 Springfield, 1917, M14/M1A. BM59, AR15/M16, AR18/180, Colt SAA. Luger, C96, 1911 and others. The American Rifleman magazine in the 1950s and 1960s were larger and had twice the articles as it does today. Ebay has a lot of back issues.

Registered
I have a CMP M-1 Garand .308 Special, no problems with it. I prefer USGI en blocs, but since the .308 Win./M-80 cartridge cases have the NATO wider cut extractor grooves, almost any good quality en bloc should work just fine. I have never had to spread or monkey with the en blocs to get the cartridges to fit.

The problem with different en blocs comes in 30.06 cases. The older/original casing extractor grooves were cut small and still are with PPU, S&B and pre-1972 ish HXP. The newer NATO style en blocs are hit and miss with the older style 30.06 cases. Like I said, I have not had that problem with .308 Win./M-80.

In my mind, the spacer is just there and performs the previously mentioned safety function.

Read Only
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks much M1AFL. I remember reading something about the clips and extractor grooves but couldn鈥檛 put my finger on it.

Registered
Somewhere I have a pictorial of what clip fits what ammo base. If I can find it I'll post it.
My match rifle that I had Shuff build my M1D with is 7.62 & I only use JMO clips for it.
There is a particular combo of clip type, cartridge rim style & mfg for this.
IIRC there are clips that dont play well with the smaller/thinner extractor groove. Same problem with 30-06 especially later prouction HXP M2 with "original" GI clips .
For example i have a bunch of 1972 JMO clips that dont work well
My 1965 M2 ball does not work well in those clips at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts