M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And that was not a good idea. Fortunately I was near the end of my shoot. So, the shell casing expanded and stuck hard enough that I could not manually eject it. I was shooting DAG. I just packed up and took it home and did the thing with a wood mallet on the op rod handle. That worked.

I should have known better. I now remember trying to re-fit a spent case into the chamber and it was a no-go. A new round has lots of clearance.

A confession: 500 rounds through the stainless barrel and I have never applied a chamber brush. When I forced the ejection of the swollen case, there was black stuff on the neck to the shoulder.

If I try this experiment again, I will wait until a full cleaning and make it my last shot at the range. And I was so proud of myself for figuring out that I could use the rim of a spent case to turn the gas valve screw. I guess you can call this earned experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
I do it with both my rifles all the time and have never had a problem with it; and that's pushing 168's at 2650 FPS. I think the chamber may be a little rough which may account for the stuck case, or like you said, it may be a dirty chamber. I'm running a Criterion chrome moly barrel and a USGI H&R barrel. I clean my chambers thoroughly between trips so I've never tried it on a dirty one.

Each rifle is different and I have my best groups with the gas system turned off. I did this because I didn't want to chase my brass through the PNW rain and mud.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Butt on ground, boot on handle. Works every time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
We experience this almost daily during the test firing of newly completed EBRs. The only thing you notice is the recoil is a little different and the cuss words that accompany having to tap the spindle valve into the proper position.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Butt on ground, boot on handle. Works every time.
Try this instead. Just like with an M16/AR15. Magazine out, Muzzle Away from your face and in a safe direction. Pull on the Charging Handle (Op Rod for the M14) at the Same time Bump/Rap the Butt on the Ground .With the pulling and Abrupt jar they all come out .It is so much easier and less frustrating.

Reactions: koaboy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.