M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I traded into a SOCOM 16 and played around with it enough to see it's a cool lightweight but still a hi-power contender. Quick two liter drills showed them bottled invaders didn't have a chance! Lots of fun. Right after that shootin party, my bud wanted it back. Real bad, sooo okay. Gone.

Next chapter. Granddaughter wants a lighter rifle. Hmmm... ok! I know what to do. Like a bunch of y'all, go thru the drawers and see what you got. All I needed for a SOCOM was a front sight and a barrel. Here's the beginnings of a Turkey Day SOCOM.

SMOKY

Attachments

Registered
What an awesome dad!

For basic assembly, according to the 'Assembly Guide' in front of me, you're in the middle of the desired range. If you're looking to milk accuracy out of it, I believe several of the more experienced builders have recommended 10 degrees as what you're looking to shoot for, (6:20).

But I don't think you should have any problem getting it into correct timing without removing material. I think I have done the same thing on at least one occasion. If you've got a chrome-lined barrel, you may or may not have a fish for a bolt that is close enough to lap, or take a carbide reamer to the chamber, but if this was as simple as AR assembly, more people would be doing it.

You probably already know all this, in which case, only the first sentence is of any relevance. :p

Thank you for sharing the Thanksgiving fun!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet your granddaughter will get a kick out of the muzzle blast and recoil of that baby!
Yep, i know it'll be a hat blower with the wrong brake. There's a lot of blast, fer sure. Looking to go a little diffrent than my normal M4-72. Not sure yet but i know the 5/8x24 adapter opens up our options.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.......... but if this was as simple as AR assembly, more people would be doing it.
LOTS of truth in that statement. For me, i been trying to share what i've learned and pickup what i can along the way too. A couple of my buds can handle it. The rest need an easy button.

Biggest issue is tools. Takes a long time to get into it gracefully, then before you know it, years have passed and you've got a big desk and bench full of M14 stuff. Make it fun! (y)

Super Moderator
Looking good, man! I'd say take abut 0.005" off the shoulder and you should have a timing of about 25藲.

I torque anything from 0.010藲 to 0.025藲, but anything over that, I start trimming the shoulder. Good luck with the build. Accuracy on mine was sproadic. 1.0" groups to 3" groups with diagonal dispersion.

130 grain bullets seemed to do well in them.

Tony.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the head scratchin' done...
Since looking at 10 threads per inch, it ought to be .100 for every revolution of the barrel. For probly the 10th time, my figuring came up with .1/360=.0002777778.

Since my 1st hand tight was 45 degrees out, I was thinking to take 30 away to leave 15 for torqing. Sooo...
.0002777778x30=.008333334".
Gonna shoot for .008 and see what happens.

Smoky

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting committed to trim the shoulder now.
Hooked into the mini-lathe and measured .690 from end to shoulder. Target=.698

So glad I did not hawg into it...
just a few little light scrapes and I'm looking at .699

Should be okay. Will see later.

Smoky

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...... If you've got a chrome-lined barrel, you may or may not have a fish for a bolt that is close enough to lap, or take a carbide reamer to the chamber
This is a chrome lined barrel and the biggest worry in the whole project. Even said on the website that could be an issue. I do have another bolt if this one comes up outta spec. Hopefully, one of them gets it dialed in without too much lapping. Anxious to see what there is to work with. I have had really good luck bringing others in to 1.632. Being hard chrome, it gonna take some faith and magic.

Registered
This is a chrome lined barrel and the biggest worry in the whole project. Even said on the website that could be an issue. I do have another bolt if this one comes up outta spec. Hopefully, one of them gets it dialed in without too much lapping. Anxious to see what there is to work with. I have had really good luck bringing others in to 1.632. Being hard chrome, it gonna take some faith and magic.
Both Ted Brown and JD Russell have been godsends of sorts for me in two related instances.

In one, when both bolts I had weren't working, instead of playing experiment, I just punted and sent it to Ted, who picked a bolt from his collection, and barreled the receiver while he was at it.

In another, I had a Wolfe Barrel, a Fulton receiver, and a USGI bolt, and an estimated headspace based on hand-timing that would suggest lapping required to meet headspace was on the aggressive side. I didn't want to accidentally leave too little of the hardened layer of either the bolt or receiver. I talked it over with JD, and leveraged his experience with all of the different components as far as thickness of the hard layers on each put it in context, and lapped away, and the estimated headspace based on hand timing, versus actual installation, wasn't that drastic anyway.

If you spin it on, and you can't find a bolt that gets you close enough, and you don't feel comfortable lapping it in, don't feel weird about giving Ted a call and seeing if he can help you out, either with a bolt swap, or a carbide reamer.

Bula used to offer an armorer's collection of bolts that would allow you to select a bolt to headspace easily, though I think that option disappeared, even if it was a genius idea.

Super Moderator
If you bought that rifle from Fulton, it's short chambered and a Chrome-Moly barrel. I've never seen a chrome-lined SOCOM barrel.

Your barrel timing looks great! Screw it on and get it done! I came up with the numbers you did but instead of telling you to cut 0.008", I tell you to cut 0.005" in case you accidentally over-cut the shoulder, you'd still be in the workable range without having to roll the shoulder to get timing back. It's so easy to over-cut the barrel.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heard dat! In just a few light touches it cut farther than my target trim. And yes, if I get in a pickle with the headspace, I'll be picking for some answers real quick like.

Yes, this barrel came from Fulton. They were out of stock on the non-chrome short chambered but had chromed finish chamber ready to ship. I felt okay with it even though they said there might be issues with headspace. We'll see.

After my family leaves for Arkansas, I'll be headed to the bench for some 14 fun. Will update!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts