M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to tumbling brass, no mystery to using but one question. After tumbling, do you guy leave the media in the separator bucket, return it to the tumbler or store it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
i put it back in the tumbler.
Lruss

·
Registered
311 Posts
Benny

Just a note if you tumble fired brass with the primer still present, watch out for the fine dust generated in the tumbler it will contain lead styphinate, so its best to tumble brass in the garage or outdoors.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I use the Dillon separator than just dump it back in the tumbler.
I do once in a while put some Flitz in with the media but you did not ask about how Nice you want your brass to come out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I leave mine in the tumbler, I use a spaghetti fork to dig out my brass, and shake out what's inside the cases, then throw them in a sorting box. I like the walnut or corncob stuff, gives a nice satin patina, but I might try some of the SS media to see what it's like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have one separator, and two dry media tumblers. One tumbler is for the grungy range pickups to prep for sizing. The other is for after sizing, or tumbling cleaner than grungy brass.

So, I put the media back in the tumblers.

PS: People using the SS pins should be careful about bridged pins being shot out of their rifle.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Back in the tumbler so it's ready for the next batch.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I have three 1-gallon plastic jugs in which I store my different types of media. One contains media with rubbing compound, another contains media with polishing compound and the third is plain media.

One gallon seems to work well for my Lyman turbo tumbler. At most times, though, I only have two of the three jugs filled as I tend to leave whichever media used last in the tumbler.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I concur with those who said the SS media and wet tumbling work extremely well. After doing a few thousand cases, I started wondering I the SS media being harder than brass causes any damage or life-shortening to cases. I would welcome opinions on this one. The SS media combined with the wet tumbling even cleans the primer pockets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I concur with those who said the SS media and wet tumbling work extremely well. After doing a few thousand cases, I started wondering I the SS media being harder than brass causes any damage or life-shortening to cases. I would welcome opinions on this one. The SS media combined with the wet tumbling even cleans the primer pockets.
If there was any effect to be noteworthy, it would be that the surface of the brass is put into compression by the hammering action of the pins, which is a backhanded stress relieving operation similar to glass beading or shot blasting. More good than harm there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Corn cob media in a Dillon tumbler with a couple of dryer sheets.

I use a five gallon bucket with two plastic colanders in the top to strain the media when finished. When finished I leave the media in the bucket till next time, jut pour in what you need.

If you leave the media in a bucket/pan etc, be careful if you have a cat.

Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bit the bullet and bought a tumbler set with stainless steel media, and couldn't be happier! Brass shines like it was new, primer pockets and inside is cleaned out to perfection! It's expensive to set up, but well worth it in that you'll never have to buy tumbling media again! Here's where I got mine:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

Got sick and tired of having to go over every case to poke out the pieces of vibratory media that always seem to be the perfect size to jam themselves in flash holes! DISHOUT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.