M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AR in the A1 configuration, Olympic Arms; and a complete 9mm upper with collapsing stock. I've had these since '89 and finally got tired of two uppers but only 1 receiver, I wanted two complete guns. I came upon Joebobsoutfitters and saw a New Frontier LW-15 receiver on sale silly cheap. I got one and it fits and works fine one the AR and the 9mm. So now my problem, after avoiding it all this time I finally picked up some Tula 5.56 ammo. this stuff works fine in the AR in its original A1 configuration, but when I switch receivers, put the New Frontier (polymer) on the AR upper the Tula ammo will not function with the collapsing stock (I noticed that spring is shorter than the one in the standard stock), as it will jam at least every third shot with the fired case still in the ejection port and the next ctge. trying to feed and stuck at a 45 degree angle! I dug into my stash and loaded a mag with US LC mil. ammo and that stuff ran flawlessly with either receiver or stock. Tula ammo has likely been discussed here before but I just add my experience to the chorus of ummm-hmmms! By the way, I've never used anything but Tula in my AK and SKS and they never jam..

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Tula was part of an article on the whole "steel vs. brass" debate. I'll go find the article..... but the gist was that they had some serious problems with Tula due to its pressure curve if I remember right. It functioned in certain rifles but not others.

Heres the article. LOTS to read and a lot of "data" but some interesting information. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo in my duty AR carbine with zero issues. Not the most accurate but when I take courses and can't recover my brass I use steel cased ammo.

I've also built a dozen or so AR's from kits. Have you lubed your AR as recommended, bolt 'wet'? If so then you may have a weak or incorrect buffer in your carbine.

I've had several Olympic Arms rifles and about half of the AR's that I've built were on AR lowers. They've all worked well for me although they are considered by many to be a lower tiered manufacturer. Interestingly enough I also had a 9mm Oly AR Carbine in the late 80's which I sold when the AWB came down. It was finicky and did not have the best accuracy.

Reactions: CHARLIED308

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I usually get one (at least) failure to fire per box with Tula in 7.62x39. Good primer hit but just a Dud. This is in my Mini-30 as I for one would not shoot it out of anything else i own.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
To be clear, that article I linked was a torture test with three steel cased ammos put up against Federal brass. Tula was dropped from the test because it just wouldn't work in the Bushmaster rifles they were using in the test. It would short stroke and fail to extract. It DID work in other rifles they tried though, that had slightly different gas systems.

The gist was, while the Tula had the 2nd highest chamber pressure of the ammunition tested (right up there with the Federal) it also seemed to have a faster burn rate. This resulted in the lowest gas port pressures in the test, that led to the malfunctions in that particular rifle.

Its an interesting article, and was certainly not knocking steel cased ammo in those guns. The opposite actually.

Maybe that particular ammo, combined with that particular recoil buffer/spring.... what were otherwise slight issues have compounded.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My situation was probably not the fact that TulAmmo is steel, but that it is, well, Tula.

I bought a thousand Tula .223 rounds from Cabelas. It would fail to extract from a cheap Del-Ton AR. I assumed it was the cheap AR. It would fail to extract from an Armalite AR. Okay, at this point I guess AR's just don't like steel stuff. It would fail to extract from a Ruger Mini-14. Okay, I'm now knowing Tula is pure CENSOREDGI.

On the contrary, Wolf and Hornady have excellent reputations from steel ammo, even in ARs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tul ammo refuses to cycle correctly in my 16" Bushmaster carbine. The cases will not extract fully and the bolt always jams the following round up into the underside of the half extracted previous case. My friend has a Colt in the same configuration and he has the same problem.

In my opinion Tul ammo should be avoided in .223/5.56 AR15s on principle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My Bushmaster upper doesn't care for Tula either same issues you are having.
I found using some synthetic lube sprayed down in a loaded mag does help to some degree but when the gun gets hot the malfunctions still occur.
My Windham upper feeds tula just fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a rule of thumb when it comes to steel-cased 5.56x45mm ammo in an AR-type firearm: they do NOT mix.

I vividly remember clearing a jam out of a Colt MT6700 HBAR (post ban) rifle while at the range in DEC 2001. Dude brought a case of Wolf 5.56mm steel-cased ammo. Rifle jammed during the first magazine. Took me 20 minutes to clear the jam.

Use brass-cased ammo in an AR. Leave the steel-cased stuff to AKs, SKS, and the like.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Tula runs fine in both my ar15's. One is a Frankenstein AR 16 inch carbine, and the other is a Spike's mid length 16 inch upper with an A2 fixed stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts