M14 Forum banner

TRW STOCK

4112 13
I read on Fred's M14 stock website that TRW stocks are different in that the P is a different seriff than that of Springfield and the other makers. Also that the color of a TRW stock was a dark brown it was almost black and the barrel channel was thinner.

Before I refinished this stock it was almost black and shows the other traits. It would be great if it was a TRW stock to go with my LRB M14SA that has mostly TRW parts.

Is this the TRW seriff Fred was talking about?

Or is this the TRW seriff?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Actually, he says the TRW stocks have a flat P marking, like the one in your 2nd pic. A serif type font has the extra lines sticking out (as in your 1st pic).

From Fred's website:

H & R Walnut Stock - Complete with the H -stamping under the buttplate (which you have to take off the stock to see it).

TRW-Indicated Stock - TRW stocks are not specifically marked, but they have a flat P-proof, are generally slim in the forearm, and tend to be finished near-black in color.

Springfield Armory Walnut Stock - An original "Springfield" stock just as new as if you took it out of the original box 5 minutes ago! It has the dimple ferrule staking, the serifed P-proof marking, and the rare satin, almost civilian-type finish characteristic of the very early Springfield and Winchester M14 stocks.

Winchester Big Red Heavy Birch - Rare as teeth on your pet chicken, with the W-W stamping deep and clear in the wood, visible on the hinge-side of the buttrap door after you open it, along with the military stock number.

Winchester Walnut Stock - An original nearly-50-yr-old GI Winchester stock just as new as if you took it out of the original box 5 minutes ago! It has the deep half-moon ferrule crimps, the serifed P-proof marking, the unique small circle and eagle stamp on the trigger guard inletting (this stamp is so small that it usually shows as a small circle only), and the rare satin, almost civilian-type finish characteristic of the very early Springfield and Winchester M14 stocks.

I've refinished several dozen M14 stocks, and this is what I've observed:

1. Stock ferrules are either dimpled (round punch mark), or crimped (half-moon indentation, some are deeper than others).
2. Every stock I've seen with a dimpled stock ferrule has had a flat P proof mark.
3. Stocks with crimped stock ferrules can have either a serif or a flat P proof mark.
4. I've seen tons of birch stocks that meet his "Winchester Walnut" criteria. They are slender in contour and when you stack a bunch of them side by side, it's clear that they were made by the same manufacturer. I've been assuming that they are Winchester as Fred's claims. That may or may not be true.
5. Very few are were marked under the buttplate.
6. Some stocks have a raised shelf at the base of the trigger group inletting, some do not. All of the stocks I've seen with the circle eagle stamp have the raised shelf.

I haven't seen as many walnut stocks as I have birch, but the observations I listed above appear to hold true for both type stocks. This completely contradicts his "SA Walnut " stock description as every stock I've seen (birch or walnut) with a dimpled stock ferrule has had a flat P proof mark, not a serif P.

When you look at things like contour, pommel shape, etc..., it's easy to sort the stocks & see that they were made by different manufacturers; but until I run across one with an easily recognizable characteristic and an identifying stamp under the buttplate, I'll have no way of knowing which manufacturer made which type.

Edited for spelling... :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Te Letter P means that the Rifle was Proofired in that Stock, Wether you have the Same Rifle or the Same Stock is Unlikely since all M-14s or Stocks That you can buy have beem Demilled, also the P in the Stocks wether the have a Circle around them or a Square around them Means different Arsenals,all replacement Stocks where not Marked either with a P or a Cartouche (Bill Ricca please Correct me if I am Wrong on this one)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quagmire said:
Actually, he says the TRW stocks have a flat P marking, like the one in your 2nd pic. A serrif type font has the extra lines sticking out (as in your 1st pic).
OOOPps :oops: .
Sorry I was giddy as a school girl at the thought I had a "TRW" stock that I misread it. Or maybe I forgot to close the cap on the mineral spirits and Tung oil and killed a few too many brain cells.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Trung SI: AFAIK, the circle P mark and DAS stamp mean that the stock that was on a rifle (and proof fired) when the rifle was originally sold to the government.

A square P or just a bare P stamp (no circle or square) is from an armory rebuild & I think it means the rifle was re-proof fired, but I'm not sure. The bare P may be from a unit level rebuild, but I don't know.

What Psychomark is asking about is the significance of the font type (serif or sans-serif) used in the circle P proof marks, as different manufacturers used one or the other (or even both for all I know :lol: ).

Yeah, it'd be nice to have Bill step in here. Maybe this thread should be in the "Ordnance History" forum?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
psychomark said:
OOOPps :oops: .
Sorry I was giddy as a school girl at the thought I had a "TRW" stock that I misread it. Or maybe I forgot to close the cap on the mineral spirits and Tung oil and killed a few too many brain cells.
I wouldn't sweat it. The grain & color of the wood in that top pic look absolutely gorgeous. If the rest of the stock looks like that I bet it's a beauty! ;)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Different: I've only had @ a half dozen synthetic stocks. They've all been crimped though. I always figured they were glued on as well.

Ask Six, he's seen way more of them than me. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.