M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly did you decide to build?
Honestly, I haven't decided yet.
But I'll start with the easy to find parts like the bolt, op rod, trigger (all nos TRW's) if I can find them?

I am also hoping that may be you guys can help me decide which built to go for?

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Having the rear lug rules out doing a historically correct "factory built" TRW NM clone unless you cut it off.
USMC team rifle or one of the USN sniper rifles would be very cool.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Very nice. I'll be following your build, Sir. Provided you're inclined to illustrate.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
First, congrats again on getting that receiver. I confess much jealousy. (In fact, I think I had dream about that receiver when Ted first showed on the forum back in 2020...its just such a unique piece).

To answer your question, since you asked: I think the build should be driven by whatever stock and barrel you find for it. I would use vintage parts if possible, and if you can find a nice USMC marked heavy barrel, then I would do a match USMC rifle. If you find a nice Navy match stock, then build it as a Navy match rifle. (I have a black Navy sniper stock set-up for double-lugs, so if it were mine, that would be the direction of my build). Not all of USMC match rifles were double-lugged, but if you found a stock for a double-luged match rifle, then I would consider having Forceman and his neighbor weld-on a front lug (there are two styles, USMC vs Navy style).

One small detail I would definitely do is to have Forceman's neighbor spot weld the end of selector lock part and then file it down flush with the lock - this was done to all the 1962-64 NM rifles and here's a picture of what might have been representative of your receiver before de-milling:

Here's my replica USMC match M14 and you can see what Forceman did here per my request re the round spot weld on the selector lock - a small detail but definitely worth doing on your TRW NM marked receiver.

Good luck in whatever you decide, it's going to be a very unique build(!).

I didn't know TRW made a NM receiver. No idea.
I'm surprised that some folks on this forum don't know that SA and TRW made 'NM' marked rifles in 1962-64. The heel on Tarnel’s receiver was one was of the 4,874 National Match M14s that TRW made in 1964. It was the final order for NM M14s. (The rear lug was added later by a service team).

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Honestly, I haven't decided yet.
But I'll start with the easy to find parts like the bolt, op rod, trigger (all nos TRW's) if I can find them?

Tarnel,

Congratulations!
That's a fine piece of M14 history for sure and deserves to be built into a fine M14 rifle. I can't tell you what you should do, only what I would do. I know a couple have come on here and told you what you can't do, don't let people limit you, its your receiver and your money. At the end of the day, there is only one person you need make happy, you!

Now if it were mine, I would build a TRW NM period correct circa 1964. Why? Because of the unique heel stamp, it says it all! How many TRW NM rifles have you seen, other than pictures in a book....none! To build anything else detracts from what makes this receiver special.
I have been looking for the right receiver to build a TRW NM M14 and thought I had found it, GunWorks of Lower Alabama were making some of the best forged receivers I have had the pleasure to own. They had the ability to do custom engraved heels, but unfortunately they went out of business.
Now here I am with a pristine TRW NM barrel, near new TRW trigger group, Wright NM windage knob(made for TRW), new TRW bolt. I had even bought a complete demilled TRW rifle so I could get the correct flash suppressor and gas cylinder!

Ok, enough of what I would do. Here's the only thing I will suggest you do. Use only original USGI parts, anything else will detract and cheapen the build.

I know you sir, having seen the wonderful rare USGI parts you have acquired so I know you will build a heirloom M14 rifle!

Whatever you do my friend, I got your back.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Hummm,, interesting ren, I've re-read the entire thread and don't see where anyone said what he can't build, and the closest thing possible is only my comment stating it would not be "historically correct" for a factory built ,TRW national match with the rear lug on it. Never said not to build it as such.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I see only one possible constraint with a 1964 period replica - the rear lug and USGI profile wood stocks. I think Gus Fisher wrote that the USMC started experimenting with welded-on lugs around 1976-77 or there abouts... However, per a retired USMC precision weapon armorer (MOS 2112) who used to live nearby, he noted that they had issues in the early days with wood stocks. He explained to me the following history based on the interesting cover picture of the Fall 2008 GCA magazine that featured some of the real National match M14s that CMP has in storage.

He surmised the 2nd rifle with the huge wood stock and all the excess bedding on the left back corner of the stock might be due to it having a welded-on rear lug (see white arrows - 2nd rifle is an H&R M14 that was a 'team build', and I think the bedding job reminded him of the old USMC lugged rifles from the late 1970s). He said that on standard profile/USGI wood stocks like the SA NM M14 on the far left and the original TRW NM M14 on the far right - if used with a rear lugged receiver - the stock would usually develop a vertical crack on the left rear corner after a season of match shooting, and thus require a new stock and bedding job, etc. (see red arrow where the crack would occur).

So while I like the idea of Tarnel building a replica of a 1964 TRW NM rifle, there could be an issue using a "correct" TRW NM stock from 1964 era (as seen on the far right) - as it might not work well with Tarnel's receiver due to the rear lug - if he shots the rifle a lot. Per the old timer who built them for the Marine Corps, the vintage NM stock as seen above on the right - is just not thick enough in the left rear corner for use with a rear-lugged receiver.

Indeed, the development of rear lugged match rifles led companies like Bishop and Fajen to develop really over-sized stocks in the late 1970s - which were thick and stiff enough for a lugged receiver. My guess is the 2nd stock from the left is one of those old Bishop or Fajen oversized stocks. It obviously has a huge "back porch" w/ enough material to accommodate bedding around a rear lug. I see what he meant when I compare that stock to the three other stocks.

Of course Gale McMillan developed a heavy profile, super stable fiberglass stock for the USMC around 1981 and they never bothered with wood stocks after they tested those McMillan stocks. Fwiw, just wanted to share this info as told to me by a retired USMC match armor who built their match M14s back in the day... Anyhow, I look forward to whatever Tarnel does with that unique receiver.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Tarnel - if you're looking for TRW specific parts try this guy operating on GB as "usparts". His name is Robert unless someone bought out his stock which happens sometimes. Not to be confused with Scotty at "bestparts" as has happened here in the past. I've dealt with him several times finding him righteous in word and deed especially during my own TRW build scouring all over for parts near 2 yrs. when I found him. You can get his reach under current GB Item# 891916383 as "usparts". I had been worried him being as how he took a extended hiatus until about a month ago spotted a listing tagged as him. Serious guy. Good guy. I also sourced prisitne OM parts and a near NOS Saco Lowell op-rod from him for future builds finding too that he had M14 parts he didn't always list on GB back then. He may be depleted, but definitely worth a shot. Terry (Forceman) is also a thoroughbred here in the Forum and really saved me more than once.

ALSO Mike Restivo at Windy City Sourcing. His reach is 630-787-1770. He may not show specific parts, but Mike knows a LOT of people. Great guy too if you don't already know him. The scamdemic has him a lot on Windy City Sourcing | eBay Stores now and still at GB.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
When I first saw this receiver it was a complete, double lugged, original TRW factory part. The lugs were added, probably by the Marines. Since it could not be sold, due to ATF regulations, the receiver was demilled and, unfortunately, the front lug could not be saved. I was able to acquire the rear end and had James River Armory weld it up to a Bula receiver. I had aspirations of building a nice rear lugged NM rifle, but my work load is such that I couldn't find time and I figured someone else would enjoy putting this rifle together. Tarnel jumped on it and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it. My only suggestion is that it needs to go in a McMillan competition stock. Woodland camo would be appropriate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts