M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Different's M14 Rifle H&D from the Online version, and he stated that TRW, made only 11 Parts for the rifle, which made up about 65% of the total cost of the rifle when it was manufactured.

Lee, if you see this, can you list what the 11 Parts were? I can figure out 6 of them but don't know the rest.

1) receiver
2) bolt
3) barrel
4) OP Rod
5) trigger housing
6) hammer

·
Registered
371 Posts
gas cylinder
flash sup.
rear sight base
connector
gas piston

RED DOT

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Correct, from M14 Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson copyright 2005:

"TRW made only made eleven parts during its M14 rifle production. These eleven parts (rear sight base, receiver, trigger housing, hammer, bolt, operating rod, barrel, connector, gas piston, gas cylinder, and flash suppressor) amounted to a little less than 65 % of the cost to the government. TRW also made trigger group safeties. TRW safeties were marked in two lines with T R W on top and H T – B below. TRW M14 safeties are likely replacement parts made after rifle production."

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Different. Now I know what parts I'll need to look for to try and make my TRW Build as complete as possible.

Were all the parts marked as the case with the hammer, housing, bolt, etc. ???

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
According to warbird, the TRW gas cylinders are marked but they are so lightly stamped under the sodium dichromate coating that it is impractical to identify them. However, if you have mucho dinero, TRW made replacement gas cylinders and packaged them two to a tube then five tubes to a box. The BOX is marked TRW. CAGE Code for TRW Replacement Parts Division was 66114 if that helps.

Connectors are not marked. H&R and Winchester rear sight bases were marked but I don't know about the TRW units. Flash suppressors were not marked but IMHO the forged USGI flash suppressors were made by TRW as TRW was known for its forging operations. Gas pistons are not marked.

Hammers, operating rods, bolts, trigger housings, receivers, and barrels were marked.

HTH

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
They all so made or had made TRW marked magazines. That would blow the 11 part count out of the water if they did manufacture them. :?:

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
bigblock said:
They all so made or had made TRW marked magazines. That would blow the 11 part count out of the water if they did manufacture them. :?:
Yes, TRW did make M14 magazines but I don't know if they were made during the M14 production or during the M14 NM production or both. There doesn't appear to be a lot of them around. Perhaps they were made by TRW Replacement Parts Division CAGE Code 66114. :? They made eleven parts for the rifle itself plus later made the safeties which makes twelve.

·
Registered
349 Posts
where on gas cylinder would one look to see if it was marked?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Different said:
AFAIK, the rear end of the cylindrical portion.
Has anyone have a reference as to the code marking of gas cylinders. The one I have is marked with a circle with the letter T inside of the circle. How made the one I have? :D

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Winchester used a mini Defense Acceptance Stamp, Springfield Armory used "S A". I don't know what TRW used but they were marked. Again, these are ghost prints.

There are also the following markings (from M14 Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson copyright 2005):

"Two versions of the M14 gas cylinder were manufactured. The early version does not have a lip just aft of the bottom gas port to support the front band. The late version gas cylinder was manufactured with a support lip for the front band. The lip is 0.095 ” wide and 0.112 ” high but serves a very important purpose (see M14 Problems). These early version gas cylinders were used in the production of T44E4 and some M14 rifles. Bill Ricca estimates that 75,000 to 100,000 of the early version gas cylinders were made by Winchester and the U. S. Springfield Armory.

A few USGI gas cylinders have been found marked with either 1) G then T inside a circle followed by L or 2) S then T inside a circle followed by L or 3) Y then T inside a circle followed by L or 4) K then T inside a circle followed by L. Two gas cylinders marked in the first manner were removed by Mr. Bennicas from a Harrington & Richardson marked and sealed cardboard tube dated July, 1962. Two gas cylinders marked in the fourth case were removed by Tim Strait from a Harrington & Richardson marked and sealed cardboard tube dated 1964. Based on this information and the opinion of Bill Ricca, these gas cylinder markings are either outside contractor codes or they may indicate completion of a particular manufacturing step. Early version and early production late version gas cylinders were machined from forgings. Rough forgings of gas cylinders were available for sale at gun shows in the 1970s. Late production late version gas cylinders are thought to be made from castings but this has not been confirmed. 1"

and

"Most gas cylinders were not stamped with the USGI drawing number. Gas cylinders made in 1963 have been observed with the stamping S/N 7790902."

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as far as Gas Cylinders go, I have 2 New SA Gas Cylinder that I removed from the sealed can of two, myself. There are no markings on them anywhere. But because of the fact that it was in a sealed SA Can, I know it is an SA.

·
Banned
39 Posts
bigblock said:
Different said:
AFAIK, the rear end of the cylindrical portion.
Has anyone have a reference as to the code marking of gas cylinders. The one I have is marked with a circle with the letter T inside of the circle. How made the one I have? :D
I purchased a new gas cylinder w/the letter T inside a circle. Seller claimed it was a TRW.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I have read that TRW's bid on their M14 components, very skinny on profit side, if any at all, in hopes of securing supposed additional orders for the rifle. That did not happen and kind of left TRW "hanging in the breeze" so to speak. The never ending complaints stemming from Nam users eventually convinced the DOD to cancel production. Great rifle but wrong application apparently.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Yes did read it, but regardless the rifle was cancelled, not so?? Long history of why the M14 was continued over the AR platform and primarily due to strong resistance from the DOD and others wishing to retain their jobs in Gov't arsenals. The AR's put to the test to replace the 14 were not done as they should have been and again politics and job preservation prevailed. The AR's did finally replace the 14 if memory serves me well and M4's are std. issue as of this date and it's variants. And I read that also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.