M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the best source is for good TRW bolts and bits?

Or do I just have to search & hope? I hope not!

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Behold, the TRW Bolt!

Check out this series of pix and info, matiesh. The guy is fitting/lapping a genuine forged TRW (USGI supplier, probably The Best bolts & parts made, ever!) to his Poly receiver.

Check out the builder's stamp on one of the pix further down the page: TRW (Thomson-Ramo-Wooldridge)

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=24124

NOTE: LRB is but a current maufacturer, and apparently no-one these days throws the amount of "gauged" QA & QC at these components as the US Government did back in "the day".

A total USGI build would be an awesome accomplishment, but unfortunately those parts are now very rare. I just keep reading about those loverly TRW bolts, and I want one.

Reactions: matiesh

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never realized that TRW was who made parts for the majority of NM rifles back in the day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle
quote from the above link "Production

Standard service rifles were produced from 1959 to 1964.
Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA
Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Worcester, MA
Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp. (Winchester-Western Div.), New Haven, CT
Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge Inc. (TRW), Cleveland, OH (considered the highest-quality variant, TRW marked parts often command a premium when they come up for sale)
The purpose-built National Match version was produced in 1962 and 1963 by Springfield Armory, and in 1964 by TRW. Springfield Armory upgraded a number of service-grade rifles in 1965 and 1966 to National Match specifications. Upgrading was also carried out in 1967 at the Rock Island Arsenal. These M14 variants are to this day capable of extreme long-range accuracy.
Springfield and TRW delivered more than 11,000 National Match rifles in the 1962–1964 period. Roughly 8,000 service rifles were modified to NM standards during 1965–1967."

·
Registered
24 Posts
I spoke with Claude about two weeks ago...

I asked if he had any in stock. I was told he did not, and he wished that he could come across some more. This may have changed since I last spoke with him. He did highly recommend the LRB bolt. He was a pleasure to speak with on the phone, and to do business with.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The best place to find a TRW bolt will probably be the PX here on this site.

Before you throw money down for a Fulton bolt you had better research it. There have been 2-3 members here that have had very bad experiences with the bolts and Fulton's customer service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.