M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a quick question...

What is a reasonable price to pay for a new TRW bolt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The price of USGI parts is going through an interesting period. The TRW bolt NIW at $250 would be a great buy now. In the last few months most have gone for $300 and some have asking prices of $375 on auction sites. There are companies out there who are coming out with more and more "mil spec" parts with prices in a much more reasonable range (the LRB bolt comes to mind). Hopefully this will serve to control and possibly cause a reduction in the prices of the remaining NIW USGI parts, but, don't hold your breath. IMHOGITEN

Reactions: Mikey

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You see em for 300 and up, but I ain't gonna pay that when I can get a stripped LRB new for 260. 762 sells them as well, but he can't keep em in stock and everytime I have needed one he is out.
I've got an opportunity for a used but in almost mint condition TRW bolt for 275 - should I be going for that or LRB's new bolt - how do they stack up?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Mikey, if the used TRW bolt is from a known source then I think that's a pretty good price. Most NIW are going stripped for $300 plus up to $400 at the gun shows. The problem is that at times they are hard to get from known sources. You have to examine the used bolt, find out how many approximate rounds are on it, and why is it being sold, all tricky questions and you may or may not get the correct answer. The bolt is the heart of your rifle so a few dollars extra on the price may be worth it. A TRW bolt isn't really a discount item. Just make sure that no matter the price you get a solid product and you won't go wrong. I got my last one from claude at RAparts.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
I would always go USGI. The parts will hold their value. Gives the rifle more of a nostalgic feel to it. TRW bolt for $275, might as well buy it as an investment. And it's complete as well. Extractor, firing pin, ejector and extractor spring assemblies. That's gonna cost you $50 on a stripped LRB.

LRB complete is $225 plus shipping. So you can get the TRW for $275????

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mikey, if the used TRW bolt is from a known source then I think that's a pretty good price. Most NIW are going stripped for $300 plus up to $400 at the gun shows. The problem is that at times they are hard to get from known sources. You have to examine the used bolt, find out how many approximate rounds are on it, and why is it being sold, all tricky questions and you may or may not get the correct answer. The bolt is the heart of your rifle so a few dollars extra on the price may be worth it. A TRW bolt isn't really a discount item. Just make sure that no matter the price you get a solid product and you won't go wrong. I got my last one from claude at RAparts.
Yeah, I checked RA parts, their out right now - there are a few niw trw bolts for around 375, I'm trying to get some background on the used bolt, I'll post some pics the seller put up and hopefully you guys can check it out. Its for my first build so I don't know that much of what to look for. Is a new trw worth it for 375?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the used bolt, Good to go?

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Maybe a repark. I would inspect it closely. The bolt roller should be bright, not parked over. What else may be covered up....round count, rust, drill rifle rework?????? I would rather have the original finish.

Still your call. Could be OK too....just a repark. OK from that angle. You really need all four views.

Here is the NIW one I sold here for $280. Sorry....the prices are retarded.

http://m14forum.com/px/98057-nos-stripped-trw-bolt.html

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe a repark. I would inspect it closely. The bolt roller should be bright, not parked over. What else may be covered up....round count, rust, drill rifle rework?????? I would rather have the original finish.

Still your call. Could be OK too....just a repark. OK from that angle. You really need all four views.

Here is the NIW one I sold here for $280. Sorry....the prices are retarded.

http://m14forum.com/px/98057-nos-stripped-trw-bolt.html
Thanks for the info, I'll probably just spend a bit extra and get a new in wrap one for 375 - man that's expensive, hopefully worth it though. Thanks for the heads up on the roller - i didn't catch that.

I don't suppose you have any more niw you'd be willing to sell?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well.... it looks clean, can't see any damage, may have been reparked, that's OK, appears stripped without any bolt guts, can't really tell if it's been fired or not, can't tell if it has been lapped or modified in any way. It certainly doesn't look to be abused in the pic, do you know or trust this seller? Sometimes you just have to jump in and use your own judgement. As to your other question, I think you can do better than $375 for a stripped TRW bolt. The question is do you want to wait or nab it now. I would say you can't be more than $50 high on it and that might not be a bad idea if it's reliable source and New in Wrap. If it has the bolt guts with it then go for it if you need it now. Otherwise keep an eye out for a better price on this forum and it's sponsers. Wish I could help you more but at times it just comes down to you, the parts, and your money. Good luck, 'been there, done that'.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Personally I would avoid it. It appears to be re parked and if so, that can hide a world of woes. Not knowing the sellers I think I would walk away and not look back. Be a little patient and keep checking the sources often and you should find one. You can also post a desire to buy one in the WTB section down the forum page. Patience can translate into a fair amount of money.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
+1 on what RD 04 said. I can't tell much from the pics. Ive had the school of hard knocks training on buying things where the pic is not good. Hate to say it, but people are pretty crafty about hiding stuff in a photo. He shows the bolt face, but holds it so the lighting cast a shadow over what you want to see: PLEASE! When you are buying online the pics are the most important thing.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Put a WTB ad in the PX & you WILL find a good one! - You need the lug measurements before you can say if a used bolt is "a good one" or not - If the bolt has never been lapped to a commerical receiver chances are it'll be near new (bolts were NOT lapped in GI rifles) - Also don't let a re-park scare you...... I've got several bolts that went thru an arsenal rebuild & they are less than .003 from new!! (ALL the arsenal rebuilds I've seen were a light to med gray color, I've NEVER seen a real dark one) - In fact ALL i use in my builds are the arsenal rebuilds, I'm keeping my NOS bolts for spares & as a investment

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Mikey, keep looking, you can get a better bolt than that reparked bolt on gunbroker. I just got a NIW TRW bolt off gunbroker for $286.00 about a month ago. The person I got it from runs a auction for one every so often. I PMed you the contact info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.