M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So we all have a “truck gun” that generally is a beater we slap together to put a lot of rounds through and toss in the back of the pickup. I finally got done with mine, as my Colt and KAC are too pricey to drag around and beat up. Had enough spare parts to slap this one together; complete VLTOR lower with B5 Sopmod and RRA 2-stage, a 16” FN barrel on an Aero upper and a used DDM4 rail from my buddy. The only additions required were a full NBC BCG, BCM charging handle, MI combat sights, and a YHM QD muzzle break for the resonator. I am hoping mid-length gas with an H2 buffer should run reliably, can or no can. Not the greatest, but should be a decent beater.

403 Posts
It will run just fine, mine does just fine and I messed with the buffer. I took the tungsten balls out of the buffer and replaced them with the cylinders from a rifle buffer and used the thin neoprene disks between too make them fit. I guess you could call it a H-2+, mine runs silky smooth even with whimply loads as light as 50grns with lite powder charges.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I will add pics of my other two. Debating on selling the Colt to fund other projects. It’s set up just like my duty rifle in my unit. It’s still stamped M4 Carbine. Maybe one of the Mil Clone guys will be interested.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This was the 2013 model 6920 I was thinking of parting with. It is unfired, and I swapped the 16” Government barrel for the 14.5 Colt Socom barrel, as this is the same barrel I am currently using in my unit. I also added KAC rail, Maytech BUIS, Colt cage code-stamped side swing swivel, KAC combat trigger guard and military issue ambi safety. The Surefire warcomp suppressor adapter is pinned and welded for legality.

This is my forever baby. KAC lower, with KAC ambi safety and ambi magazine release, Geiselle maritime bolt catch and super42 buffer kit with tube, LaRue two stage trigger topped with 12.5” DD forged barrel, 10” LaRue rail, Colt BCG, precision reflex gas buster CH and Knights Armament front and rear BUIS.

If you guys happen to know anyone that might have some interest in the Colt, let me know and I will post it in the BX.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This was the 2013 model 6920 I was thinking of parting with. It is unfired, and I swapped the 16” Government barrel
I have a question and I understand everybody likes what they like. To the best of my knowledge no civilian is using grenade sights or grenade launchers. Why do people use the government profile barrel (especially on something that is going to get knocked around) with the weakened, reduced diameter section? In my mind, for a rough service weapon you would want a heavy barrel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The SOCOM profile IS a heavy barrel now which is why I used it. Since our new A1’s are back to full auto, the heavy Socom barrel stands up to the heat of extended strings of firing better.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The SOCOM profile IS a heavy barrel now which is why I used it. Since our new A1’s are back to full auto, the heavy Socom barrel stands up to the heat of extended strings of firing better.
I see that in the pic, I was just curious why so many buy the government profile to start with unless they are getting a deal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Each has their purpose, I used a government profile on the truck gun as I don’t expect it to see too many long strings of fire and to save a bit of weight. Hammer forged barrels seem to handle heat well even in lighter profiles which is what I went with on the KAC. I would love to see a profile that runs .920-.950 for the first 6” followed by .800-850 to a mid length gas block followed by a .750 gas block to muzzle. Seems like it would be a good blend of weight to rigidity.

·
Premium Member
1911 Aficionado, Ruger Mini-14/30’s, Ruger Gunsite Scout, M1A1 Scout and many more!
99 Posts
My truck/gator/horse gun for 30+ years has been a Mini-14…it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and while it may not be as ‘tacti-cool’ as the AR-(Barbie doll for men)-15’s, it shoots the same rounds just as fast and in spite of what nay-sayers preach, just as accurately.

my stand-by grab as I go out the door at the ranch is a Winchester ‘94 in .45LC to match the pair of Ruger Vaquero’s I strap on…fun to watch that big piece of lead tear into a hog or coyote or mountain lion (3 in the past 2 years) and know what you hit isn’t getting back up.

And the best part… nobody makes a big deal about ‘the scary rifle’ if I leave it on the gun rack in the ranch truck when it goes to town…

with that said…nice build.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Colt posted to BX if anyone is interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts